Players I Hate to Love #2: Derek Jeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players I Hate to Love #2: Derek Jeter

Congratulations Derek Jeter on becoming the 28th member of MLB's 3,000 hit club.

I'm the furthest thing from being a New York Yankee fan, but I admire the fact that Jeter has played his whole career in Yankee pinstripes. Which is why Jeter fits the definition of a player I hate to love.

Over the years, I've come across my share of Jeter cards. Most of them I have either sold or traded away. But every now and then I'll pull a cool card of his and decide to keep it. Here are the cards I've decided to hold onto over the years... along with a very special card I recently picked up off of COMC.

The final card in my Jeter collection arrived on my doorstep a few days ago. It's a 1998 Zenith "Z-Silver" #17 Derek Jeter. If you're not familiar with the 1998 Zenith product, I encourage you to pick up a pack if you're able to find some. (IMO) It's one of the most underrated products from the 1990's and was well ahead of it's time.

Pinnacle's slogan for the product was "Dare to Tear", because you got three 5x7 cards in a pack and each of these cards had a regular sized card embedded inside of it. If you've ever seen someone with a Topps Treasury or Allen & Ginter RIP card, then it's exactly the same concept. The collector had to decide, do they keep the 5x7 intact or do they risk tearing it open to see what regular size card was hidden inside. I never bought any of the baseball product, but I did build both the 5x7 and regular issue sets of 1997/98 Zenith hockey.

FYI: Panini has included Dare to Tear box toppers in this year's Zenith hockey release.

Unfortunately, I think the size of the cards and the fact that the baseball product didn't contain any true rookies turned collectors off... because I don't come across these very often. So when I found a few over at COMC at reasonable prices, I swooped them up. And this Jeter was definitely the one I wanted the most.

As you can see from the photo on COMC, the card look to be in good condition. In fact, when I used my scanner it looked like this:

But when you're holding it in your hand... it's obvious that this card is DAMAGED!

I know I shouldn't overreact, since it only set me back the price of a 16oz Jamba Juice. But I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't disappointed. At first I was upset at the seller for not mentioning it... then I was mad at COMC's scan of the card... but in the end there's nothing I can do anyways... except add it to my Damaged Card PC.

In case you're new to my blog... I save every single damaged card (valued over $1) and hold onto it, so nobody else has to deal with them. Cards under a buck, go straight into the trash or I'll give them away to my students.

What about you... what do you do with the damaged cards you receive in trades, purchases, box/pack breaks, or gifts?

Bonus question (worth 1 extra point):

With the exception of non-mint vintage cards (which I consider "aged"... not damaged... unless of course it has a mustache drawn on it), what's the nicest damaged card in your collection?

Hats off to Derek Jeter and his accomplishment. It's even sweeter that his 3,000th hit was a home run.

I hope everyone has a safe weekend. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

great read
    Working on 2007 SPx Baseball Rookies Sub Set

Needs
    104,105,106,107,110,111,117,118,119,120,122,124,12 5,127,128,129,131,132,133,134,135,137,139,140,143, 145,146

Comment

Working...
    X