One Lucky Denny's Customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Lucky Denny's Customer

If you're a fan of oddball issues, then you're probably a fan or at least familiar with Denny'sholograms from the 90's. From 1991 to 1997hungry collectors were consuming Grand Slambreakfasts and getting their hands on packs of the popular cards.

In 1994, Upper Deck and Denny's teamed up to produce a 28 card set to honor a slugger from each MLB team. There was also a special limited edition card produced of Reggie Jackson. Each Denny'slocation was given a single copy of this card to used in a giveaway at the end of the promotion.

I wasn't able to pinpoint how many Denny's were around in 1994, but according to Wikipedia there are almost 1,600 diners currently in the States. That means there were probably anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 of them back in the mid 90's.

These days when a card company makes 2,000 copies of one card, collectors treat it as if there were 2,000,000. However... back in the day... 2,000 was pretty limited. Maybe not exactly super rare... but definitely limited.

I've been looking for a copy of this card off and on for a few years... and after lots of patience... I found a eBayvendor willing to accept my $9 offer. I realize that might sound like a lot of money for some Junk Wax Erainsert... but when you factor in how long I've waited to add this card to my Oakland A's collection and the prices other vendors typically ask... I think I got a pretty good deal.

Happy Flashback Friday... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

I ate a lot of meals at Denny's to get these cards. After gaining about 125 pounds I finally finished the set and had fun doing it.

Comment

The wife and I ate there way too much for these cards. lol
      Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Working...
      X