A Not-So-New New Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Not-So-New New Card

I have a few Target gift cards burning a hole in my wallet and have been trying to find a 2017 Gypsy Queenblaster box to no avail. There's always at least one box of 2017 Topps Series One, but it's not really my cup of tea.

Anyways... since I haven't opened any 2017baseball products, I haven't been able to complete Tony's Day #1 Challenge, which is to write about a card from the current year with a photo you like.

My solution? Cheat.

Last Thursday, I picked up a team bag filled with 2017 Rediscover Toppsbuybacks and found this card:

1993 Topps #465

I realize that it's technically a twenty-four year old piece of cardboard. However since it was included in packs of 2017 Topps, I figured it was fair game.

Anyways... this photo is fantastic for a few reasons:

#1: It's a great action shot with Fernandez looking to turn two.
    #2: Fernandez has all of his limbs and is wearing flip-up glasses.
    #3: I looks like the MLB Home Run King is making a guest appearance.

I also like this card because it features him with the San Diego Padres. Most of my Fernandezcards show him with Toronto.

By the way... did you know that he spent a season in Japan playing for the Seibu Lions?

I'm just threw that into this post, so I can show off some cool stuff I saw at the 2017 Nikkei Matsuri, which is a festival/bazaar that takes place in San Jose's Japantowneach year.

My entire life, I've been fascinated by bonsai trees. I have owned a few over the years, but I always seem to kill them. There were a bunch on display today. Here are two of my favorites:

My friend's mom and sister are part of a Japanesedoll making club and three of their dolls were on display as well:

Being a forty-four year old guy, I'm normally not into dolls, but I've got to admit the detail on these are truly amazing.

Well that's it for today. I'm still in the process of building care packages. Should have them shipped out on Wednesday or Thursday. I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X