Biggest Thrill of His Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Thrill of His Life

Every morning, I listen to 95.7 FM The Game or KNBR 680 to jump start my day and listen to some quality sports talk. Both stations are entertaining... but I've got to tell you... the past couple of months have sucked.

The Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants are both struggling which makes it difficult for the radio personalities to get excited about talking baseball. Pair that with the Golden State Warriors dominating and on the verge of bringing home a second NBA Title in three years and you've at least one listener who isn't amused.

Don't get me wrong. I think Warriorsfans deserve the spotlight... as well as Cavaliersfans. But as a guy who could care less about who wins this title, I can't wait for the NBA Finals to be over, so we can get back to focusing on baseball.

In the meantime, since 90% of Bay Areasports fans are focusing on basketball, I figured I'd try to meet them in the middle and target a player who played both sports today.

Tony's Day 13 Challenge asks us for one of our favorite cards from the 1990's:

1995 Upper Deck #200

If you were collecting baseball cards or basketball cards in the mid90's, then there's a good chance you remember this card or at least one of the many Michael Jordanbaseball cards produced when he retired from basketball and made the transition to the diamond.

I decided to use this card for Tony's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge because it captures a cool piece of history with two Chicago legends. In the interview, Harry Caray actually says that seeing MJ in a baseball uniform was "the biggest thrill of his life".

Michael had a few other baseball cards produced in the 90's. Here are a few of the highlights from my collection:

1991 Upper Deck #SP1

This 1991 Upper Deckbaseball card of Jordan is another card that probably stands out to guys who collected cards in the early90's. Upper Deck was way ahead of themselves when they created this special short print card more than two years before he announced his plans to retire from basketball and try out for the White Sox.

1993-94 Upper Deck Special Edition #MJR1

Technically this isn't a baseball card, but it does mention Jordanreporting toSpring Training and playing for the White Soxorganization.

1994 Fleer Pro Cards #633

As a big fan of minor league issues, I was really excited to finally pick up an official Birmingham Barons baseball card of His Airness.

1994 SP Holoview FX #16

Hands down... my favorite Michael Jordan baseball card. Ever since Upper Deck started producing the SP Holoviewinserts in the mid90's, they have been one of my favorite insert sets. They're absolutely gorgeous!

1995 Upper Deck Steal of a Deal #SD15

Twenty years ago, this card was a pretty hot commodity that sold in the $20 to $30range. These days collectors can find these in dollar bins at card shows and online for under$5. Talk about a steal of a deal.

2001 UD Prospect Premieres Heroes of Baseball Jersey Duos #J-JJ

I'll wrap things up with the onlyMichael Jordanmemorabilia card in the collection. It features two jersey swatches. One from his Spring Trainingstint with the Chicago White Sox and the other when he was with the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League. I'm not a big fan of the card's design, but that's probably what made this card so affordable.

By the way... thank you to all of those who left kind comments in regards to my back. It's still tender, but at least I'm not sleeping on the floor anymore. Have a great week everyone!

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X