Sports Card Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Card Therapy

This school year five of my friends at work were pregnant... and it cracked me up how emotional some of them would get. I'm used to the typical husband bashing at the lunch room table, but some of these mood swings were stuff you only see on television shows.

I think I might be pregnant. I've gained 12 pounds this school year... and this week I myself have had some serious mood swings.

Normally I'd be super excited that there are only nine days left in the school year, but like I mentioned in a previous post... one of my closest friends is moving to another state next weekend, which kinda sucks.

But one of my former students stopped by after school on Monday and gave me a very thoughtful thank you letter that I'll treasure forever.

The following day, I heard about the tragic news about Seattle SeahawkslegendCortez Kennedy.

Things continued to spiral downwards on Wednesday. During 2nd period, I threw out my back while loading paper into the copier, which forced me to walk around campus like Yoda for the rest of the day.

Not sure what sucked more... the excruciating pain or constantly having to explain my hunched over waddle to curious middle schoolers.

I spent the rest of the week trying to recoup and today I turn to sports card therapy for help. Rickey didn't disappoint:

1982 Topps #610

This was one of the first cards to pop into my head when I noticed that Tony's Day 12 Challenge asked us for one of our favorite cards from the 1980's.

Topps has blessed Rickey Henderson fans with some pretty awesome base cards and this one is no exception. This well cropped and centered photo captures him on the base paths, which is where he did most of his damage in the 80's.

I'm also very fond of the overall design of this set. I can't imagine collectors confusing the "hockey sticks" or the Tron-likelines that race down the sides with any other Topps baseball card set out there. I will admit, that I probably wasn't a big fan of the pink on this card (or any other Oakland A'scard) when I was a kid, but thirty-five years later... I've grown to appreciate it.

Thank youRickey. It's cards like this one that mentally makes things a little easier when times are tough.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X