Let the Cherry Picking begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Cherry Picking begin!

Year in and year out, there's one Topps baseball product that I'm looking forward to tearing into... and that's Archives.

Normally I'll open a few blasters and sometimes a hobby box in an effort to build the base set, while accumulated as many affordable Fan Favorites autographs off of eBay. This year I was really excited about two things:

#1: Seeing the updated card stock people have written about on the 1960 and 1982cards.

#2: This year's Fan Favorites autograph checklist is loaded with guys I'd love to pull.

This morning I drove down to my local wholesaler in hopes of picking up two boxes and was told that they're completely sold out. They could order it from their other locations, but that it'd be around $105 to $110per box.

$105 for a partial set, a handful of inserts, and two autographs? Uh... no thanks. I've slowly been picking up the autographs I want off of eBay and I'll eventually try to grab a hand collated set if one becomes available for a reasonable price.

I was also hoping to pull the last card in the Derek Jeter Retrospectiveset, which features one of my favorite cards from the 2010's:

2015 Topps Chrome Refractor #1

I don't actually own the regular 2015 Topps base card that's part of the Retrospectiveset, but that's okay. I'm more than happy to have this Chromerefractor sitting in its place.

The card front captures Jeter celebrating after his walk off single in his final plate appearance at Yankee Stadium on September 25th, 2014. You honestly couldn't write a better ending to a hall of fame career. The decision by Topps to keep his entire body intact truly makes this card one for the ages.

Although the front is the main reason I chose this card for my Day 15entry for Tony's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge, the back is pretty sweet too. It contains complete regular season statistics for Jeter's entire 20 year MLBcareer.

Getting back to Archives though... the odds of me actually pulling the Retrospective Jetercard would have been against me, since Topps made it a short print. But just like the base set and autographs... I don't need to bust any blaster boxes or hobby boxes of this stuff. I'm perfectly content with cherry picking these cards off of eBay and COMC.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X