Before Sports Cards... There Was Star Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before Sports Cards... There Was Star Wars

A long time ago, in a theater not that far away... my life was forever changed.

Back before sports cards became my favorite way to kill time... my parents took me to see Star Wars. And since that day... it's been one of my favorite film series. My obsession with Star Warsaction figures, video games, and comic books have long subsided... but I'll still watch the original trilogy at least once or twice a year.

I even think about going back and purchasing the original Topps sets, since they were the first trading cards I ever collected.

These days, I prefer collecting baseball, football, and hockey players over Jedis, Wookies, and Sith Lords. But every now and then, I'll purchase a piece of Star Wars nostalgia to keep me in touch with my childhood.

My most recent purchase is this medallion card of Obi-Wan Kenobi out of 2013 Star Wars Galactic Files Series 2...

#MD20

These cards are similar to the baseball "ring" cards produced by Topps these past few years.

I originally wanted to purchase Boba Fett's Slave Onemedallion, but this card turned out to be much more affordable. You can expect to pay close to thirty dollars for a Fett, while these cards are routinely sold in the $8 to $10 range.

And after going back and forth on whether or not to pick this up... I remembered how Kenobi sacrificed himself so that Luke, Han, Leia, and the droids could escape the Death Star. It's one of the coolest, selfless acts in the history of Sci-Ficinema.

Happy Star Wars Day! And May the fourth be with you.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Awesome looking card.

Comment

Thanks! I wish I had the Slave I, Boba Fett card.

Originally posted by JeBry View Post
      Awesome looking card.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Great card, from a Great Franchise - I cannot wait for the new movie in 2016!

Comment

Working...
        X