My Blog = My Cardboard History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Blog = My Cardboard History

When I was a kid, I remember learning about Christopher Columbus and his famous voyage across the Atlantic Ocean where he discovered the New World.

Years later, I was told a different story by one of my college professors and it literally rocked my world.

He taught us about the genocide and slave trade surrounding Columbus's visit to Hispaniola... which was information I'm pretty sure my elementary school teachers left out of their lessons.

Topps also failed to add this information to the back of Columbus's 1952 Topps Look 'n Seecard:

I still wonder why my elementary school teachers felt our young minds were ready to learn about slaves brought over from Africa... but not the ones brought back to Spain.

I also remember learning about the millions of Jewsmurdered by the Nazis and the barbaric war crimes committed by the Japanese during World War II. Yet... I never read anything from those teachers about the executions Columbus performed on the Natives.

But I guess that's just part of history. People tend to remember the information they want passed along... while omitting the stuff they want to forget.

I can totally relate to that. How often do I show off the 1988 Topps Tony Bernazardcard in my collection, compared to my 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson?

Oh... I almost forgot to talk about the actual card in this post. I picked this card up back in August for 99ยข off of eBay. I bought this card with a bunch of vintage Japanese cards, because the seller offered combined shipping.

The set was produced by Topps back in 1952 and consists of 135 cards featuring U.S. Presidents, military leaders, inventors, explorers, and other famous people in world history. The back of each card features a trivia question related to person on the card. Collectors could use a decoder, made out of red cellophane to reveal the answer... which is why the set is called Look 'n See.

Well... that's enough "history talk" for today. Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X