The Power of the Force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power of the Force

A long time ago, in a neighborhood not that far away...

I busted open my first pack of trading cards containing the likes of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia... rather than Tony Gwynn, Thurman Munson, or Steve Carlton. These days I focus more on the latter... as 99% of my posts are sports card related.

But the people who really know me... know that I'm also a huge fan of the Star Warsfranchise.

Over the years I've written posts about my Star Wars sketch cards, action figures, and even my favorite characters. And since today we're celebrating Star Wars Day, I figured I'd share a few of my recent Star Wars purchases.

Let's kick things off with a set I've wanted since I was six years old...

Unfortunately... I'm still missing the stickers. But considering that I waited over thirty-five years to pick up this set, I think I'm patient enough to wait for a reasonable price on the stickers.

Next up are a fewaction figure purchases...

Back in the late 70's and early 80's... Star Warsaction figures were always at the top of my birthday and Christmaswish list. I remember looking through the giant Sears and JC Penny catalogs and circling the guys I still needed.

I don't really have the space to collect action figures anymore, but I made an exception when I discovered Hasbro's Black Seriesfigures. As you can see the packaging is almost as beautiful as the figures themselves. I'm still looking to add the 6"R2-D2 and Yodafigures to my shelf.

And you can't collect action figures without collecting a vehicle or two...

Last month, I found this Amazon exclusive Slave I at a Toys R' Usoutlet store near my work and couldn't believe how cheap it was. Normally these sell on eBay in the $70 to $90 price range, but I paid $39.99. I'm keeping it in the box until I decide what I want to do with it. It's a little to big to display, so I might end up flipping it for some extra cash.

Here's another vehicle I picked up for myStar Warscollection:

This time around... it's the Lego Tie Advanced Prototype which was featured in the new series: Star Wars Rebels. I picked this up because it's actually a really cool ship for the price and it includes the Inquisitormini figure. I bought it back in January for $39.99, but I had a $20Targetgift card from one of my students.

I've always wanted to start collecting Legos, but once again the storage and lack of display space are issues I need to work out.

And finally... here are the most unique Star Wars collectibles I've purchased in the past year or so...

Last year, Santa Cruz Skateboards and Star Wars teamed up to produce a line of skateboards. One of their series involved a collector's series that were packaged in actual blister packs designed to be reminiscent of the vintage action figures I used to buy. As soon as I saw these, I knew I wanted to hang these up in my house.

Unfortunately they retailed for $135/each... which is way too much for wall decorations. But patience paid off and I was able to pick up the pair in two different eBay auctions for under $170/shipped. They're still kind of pricey, but they are two of the coolest Star Wars collectibles I own and combine different parts of my childhood together... which is why I had no regrets spending that kind of money.

Well that's it for now.

Anyone else Star Wars fanatics? Do you collect Star War memorabilia?

May the force be with you. Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X