The First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Time

My memory sucks. You'd think that I'd be able to remember key moments in my life. You know... like the first time I ripped open a pack of cards. Or the first timeI drove a car. Heck... I can't even remember the first timeI kissed a girl. Those are all things I should remember... but I can't.

Thankfully... I have this blog to help me remember things down the road.

Like watching my first Ronda Rousey fight last night. Well... let me clarify. It's the first time I've seen her fight live and thank goodness I didn't have to pay for the event, because she beat downBethe Correia and knocked her out thirty-four seconds into the fight. It's like watching Mike Tyson in his prime.

Anyways... lastChristmas I received a few Barnes & Nobles gift cards from my students and discovered that they sell signed copies of books. I was pumped to see that Rousey was going to release her new book this year, so I used the money and ordered a copy for my collection.

Her book titled My Fight/Your Fight came out in May and arrived a few weeks later. She signed the book in redSharpie and it looks amazing.

While I'm on the topic of firsts... back in June I sat down at a restaurant and ate by myself for the first time. Now I'm sure I ate at the cafeteria at De Anza or SJSUby myself... and there's even a chance I've gone to McDonalds and grabbed a Big Macby myself. But I think I've always been self-conscious and never wanted to sit in a restaurant alone.

However that all changed when I went to a Hawaiianrestaurant called Hukilau in San Jose's Japantown. I was going to meet a fellow sports card collector about some supplies he had offered me and I arrived about forty-five minutes early, so I sat down at the bar and ordered a bowl of saimin:

I guess I wasn't completely alone... since Tony was there to witness me scarfing down those delicious noodles. After dinner, I drove over to the nearby grocery store and met Peter, who's collects a lot of vintage stuff. He found me on my blog and offered to donate a ton of extra supplies he had sitting around:

In addition to the nine shoeboxes filled with toploaders and screwdowns, he also gave me some Corinthian Headliners and comic trading card sets from the 90's:

It's the first time I've seen four of the sets shown above. The only one I've actually opened packs of is the Spider-manset on the right.

Thank you so much Peter! I'm sorry it took me so long to write up this post. I hope you and your friend had fun at The National. Don't forget that I still owe you dinner for this generous donation.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X