This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Members?

Was curious to know what is done when a new member joins this site?

Was contacted for a trade by WDavis3769 about a trade which we made, and he and I agreed to a trade. That was about 2 weeks ago. He was a new member so I waited to have him send stuff first. Time has gone by and nothing. So I notice he JUST joined the site on 12/13. My question is, are people's information they supply verified on this site as they join? If not, it should be being done. This person's phone number is disconnected.

Being in law enforcement, I can say it was disconnected prior to him joining the site. So is someone verifying the information? If we are going to accept every person who joins to get numbers, then someone must make an attempt to verify the information. Numbers are great, but having piece of mind is better. I negotiated another deal with another new member which right now I will not mention and this one has bad information on their tag as well..

I hope this gets some attention, because to trade on any site there has to be some checks. I do not expect any guarantees, but when a persons phone number was bad BEFORE he joined, then that is unacceptable..

Tom
    http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x11/tomsphotoarray/

All new members are placed under a Must Send First tag. That way you're covered if it turns out one of them happens to be a bad apple. And trust me, we background check all new members to make sure they haven't had issues on other trading sites.

As for phone numbers, personally, I would be really irritated if someone from a website called me just to check to make sure it's a correct number. That's a little over the top, don't you think?

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
    Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
    Johnson/Mears/
    Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

I have been on staff helping with new applicants on several trade sites and not one of those sites called the phone number provided in their new applicants profile to verify that it indeed goes with the individual.

If there is a trade dispute I have called and 9 out of 10 times the number is correct or I find it online or with help from others and sometimes you just can not find a number..

I can only speak for the application's that I either accept or deny and without getting into too much detail I do my damndest to not accept known scammers/thieves but nothing is foolproof not even Law Enforcement.

There are many trade sites out there and if you can find one that is 100% safe plmk .

Hence why we have the "Must Send First" tag on all new members with no other sources of verifiable feedbacks (what Jeremy stated)

Thanks for your thought Tom

Roy
      Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
        All new members are placed under a Must Send First tag. That way you're covered if it turns out one of them happens to be a bad apple. And trust me, we background check all new members to make sure they haven't had issues on other trading sites.

As for phone numbers, personally, I would be really irritated if someone from a website called me just to check to make sure it's a correct number. That's a little over the top, don't you think?
        So, someone signs up and supplies a phone number and you feel it is over the top to contact them? I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but I really disagree. A phone call is the simplest way to check to see if information is good. Cross reference the phone to the address and the check is complete.

I understand nothing is perfect and there is still ways to beat the system, but in this case, the number was bad BEFORE he signed up. I am not even saying he is bad, just saying we made a trade, and it was 2 weeks ago. I could have walked to Michigan picked up the cards and walked home.. So he was counting on me sending....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
          So, someone signs up and supplies a phone number and you feel it is over the top to contact them? I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but I really disagree. A phone call is the simplest way to check to see if information is good. Cross reference the phone to the address and the check is complete.

I understand nothing is perfect and there is still ways to beat the system, but in this case, the number was bad BEFORE he signed up. I am not even saying he is bad, just saying we made a trade, and it was 2 weeks ago. I could have walked to Michigan picked up the cards and walked home.. So he was counting on me sending....
          And that's why MSF tags are placed on all newbies. You aren't out anything because of that rule being implemented.

And yes, it's over the top to call someone from a trading card site because your cards haven't arrived. Hell, I don't think ANY site that allows ANYONE below 18 years old on it should have phone numbers on file period. A.) That's what mods are for--to deal with trade issues; B.) Kids sign up on this site. The last thing I want to see is a 15-year old kid being called by a 45 year old because the 15 year old hasn't sent their end in a week. More bad than good can come from that.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
          Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
          Johnson/Mears/
          Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

I respect your views... BUT

If you are allowing young people to trade on this site, you have an obligation to tag them so we know going into the trade.

Must Send First Tags are great and they work most of the time, but not always.. What happens when both must send first? somebody loses

You say you "Investigate" from other sites, but I have done this stuff and it is purely a cosmetic thing. It has no grit.

I may be coming off negative to you, and it is not meant that way. I am not complaining, whining or accusing. My post offers suggestions to make the site a safer place. Simply calling and verifying a phone number is accurate goes a long way. I am not suggesting putting the numbers out there for everyone. I find numbers on my own. Heck, I can have an officer anywhere in the US or Canada stop at your door to see why I have not received something. All I am saying from the Sites standpoint, someone should verify the New Members and YOU checking that phone number and cross referencing the address would go a long way.

Please do not think I am trying to tell you how to do things. It is a suggestion, and an easy one at that.

Comment

Phone numbers are one field that is not required to register on the site, it is optional. Some people dont like to put their phone number on here and that is fine. This will not be changing. If you dont lose out on a trade, there is nothing to worry about. This thread is closed.

Comment

Working...
              X