Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletics Trade Sonny Gray To Yankees

Yankees reach deal for A's starter Sonny Gray

The Yankees' pursuit of Oakland Athletics starter Sonny Gray spilled into the final hours before the trade deadline, but a swap has been agreed to that will send the right-hander to New York, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The Athletics are getting back shortstop Jorge Mateo, outfielder Dustin Fowler and pitcher James Kaprielian while also sending the Yankees $1.5 million in international signing money, a source confirmed.

Oakland is taking on two injured players, as Fowler ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee during his first game in the majors last season while Kaprielian underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this year.

Gray is under club control through the 2019 season. He is making $3.6 million this season and is arbitration eligible in 2018.

He further strengthens the Yankees rotation and complements a strong bullpen featuring Aroldis Chapman, David Robertson, Dellin Betances, Adam Warren and Tommy Kahnle.

The 27-year-old Gray is 44-36 with a 3.42 ERA over parts of five seasons in Oakland. He was the Athletics' first-round pick (18th overall) in the 2011 first-year player draft out of Vanderbilt.

The Yankees are 56-47 and lead the Boston Red Sox by a half-game in the American League East after taking three of four games from the Tampa Bay Rays over the weekend.

Why would any team trade such a starter FOR other players that have physical issues ? Is this a Billy Beane move ?

The main items Im looking to trade for are
    Baseball HOFers Autos I need
    Orioles Autos I need
    Baseball HOFers GU I need
    Orioles GU I need
    Vintage Orioles I need 1950s through 1970
    However other offers will be considered

Comment

Working...
    X