Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers Trade Justin Verlander To Astros

Astros acquire ace pitcher Justin Verlander from Tigers

The team with the best record in the American League just got a major reinforcement for its postseason run.

The Houston Astros have acquired Justin Verlander from the Detroit Tigers, boosting a pitching staff that features fellow Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel.

In 28 starts this season, Verlander is 10-8 with a 3.82 ERA. Since May 30, Verlander has a 3.24 ERA with 118 strikeouts in 111 innings.

"On behalf of the Detroit Tigers, we sincerely thank Justin Verlander for his remarkable 13 seasons of dedication to the organization," Tigers executive vice president and general manager Al Avila said. "Justin has been the face of consistency over the course of his career, and a pillar for baseball in the city of Detroit. He is someone who I believe to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. We wish Justin all the best as he starts a new chapter in his illustrious career."

Verlander is likely to make his first start for his new team next week, when the Astros go back on the road, according to ESPN's Buster Olney. Because he joins the Astros before Sept. 1, he is eligible to pitch in the postseason with his new club.

Verlander, 34, won Rookie of the Year (2006) and Cy Young and MVP awards (both in 2011) with the Tigers.

In 2013, Verlander signed a five-year, $140 million contract extension guaranteeing him $28 million per season through 2019. The deal also gave Verlander a no-trade clause in his contract.

Verlander has an option for 2020 that could vest for $22 million if he finishes in the top five in Cy Young voting in 2019 but did not get an extension as part of the Houston deal.

"He adds a boost to our rotation. He's been pitching well. We think he'll give us some leadership. He's been in the playoffs before and adds a dimension we didn't have,'' Astros owner Jim Crane said.

Verlander had been the subject of trade rumors for the past two months and had talked about being at peace with any decision since he controlled his destination.

"I guess that makes it easier on me personally. I definitely would not be upset about staying here in Detroit, and again, because I control my own destiny, it wouldn't be somewhere I don't want to go [if a trade happens]," Verlander said in July.

Crane hopes Verlander is a piece that can help the Astros in the postseason.

"We hope it positions us to get into the playoffs, get by the first round, get into the second round and get to the World Series and win it. That's what we've been working at, and that's what we'll continue to work at, and we want to win,'' Crane said.

The Astros sent pitcher Franklin Perez, outfielder Daz Cameron and catcher Jake Rogers to the Tigers as part of the deal. Houston will get a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Boy they took this one down to the wire. I didn't think it was going to happen!
    Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
    Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
    Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

Working...
    X