Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Release Mark Sanchez - Signs With Cowboys

Denver Broncos cut quarterback Mark Sanchez

Embattled quarterback Mark Sanchez will sign with the Dallas Cowboys after being released by the Denver Broncos, a source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Sanchez's deal with Dallas will be for one year, per the source.

Sanchez's future in Denver looked bleak after Broncos coach Gary Kubiak named Trevor Siemian his starting quarterback and had rookie Paxton Lynch take all the snaps in the team's preseason finale against the Arizona Cardinals.

Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway said he had "a long talk'' with Sanchez Saturday morning as the veteran quarterback was being told of his impending release.

"I will tell you this ... he handled it with great class,'' Elway said. "I know he's disappointed, he wanted to stay here and, you know, we just thought with where we are, we thought it was best for us to different ways at this time. But Mark was great, and you know what? He handled everything great ... I thought he handled it great and it's just unfortunate he didn't win that job.''

Sanchez was traded to Denver by the Philadelphia Eagles in March.

The Broncos save $3.5 million and a seventh-round draft pick by releasing Sanchez, who would have been owed $4.5 million for the season. The other $1 million is guaranteed but with offsets. The Broncos will now only have to pay that portion that exceeds whatever the Cowboys are paying him, up to $1 million.

Sanchez was 20-of-30 passing for 219 yards and one touchdown, with one interception, in two preseason appearances, including a start in the preseason opener in Chicago.

He also lost two fumbles in the closing minutes of the first half of the preseason game against San Francisco, meaning he had three turnovers in 46 snaps on the field.
Working...
X