Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhawks Sign Patrick Sharp To 1 Year $1 Million

Patrick Sharp rejoining Chicago Blackhawks in free-agent deal

After two seasons with the Dallas Stars, left winger Patrick Sharp is returning to the Chicago Blackhawks on a one-year contract, the team announced Saturday.

Sharp, a high-scoring winger who helped the Blackhawks win three Stanley Cup championships before getting traded, will once again suit up for Chicago next season. The 35-year-old veteran agreed to a guarantees $800,000 contract, and he could earn an additional $200,000 in incentives.

"I have a special place in my heart, my family does as well, for the city," Sharp said. "We did have plans on returning -- maybe not as a hockey player. But we definitely do want to live in that city at some point."

Sharp spent 10 seasons with the Blackhawks from 2005 to 2015 and had 511 points, including 239 goals. He scored more than 30 goals four times in that span and helped transform Chicago into one of the most successful franchises along with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane.

The 35-year-old Sharp became a cap casualty after the Blackhawks again won the Cup in 2015. Chicago sent him and defensive prospect Stephen Johns to Dallas for defenseman Trevor Daley and forward Ryan Garbutt.

Ultimately, the trade didn't work out for either team. Neither Daley nor Garbutt fit into Chicago's schemes and were eventually traded. Sharp had 55 points in 2015-16 when Dallas had the best record in the Western Conference, but the Stars lost in the second round of the playoffs.

Last season, Sharp battled injuries, including a concussion and a hip issue that required offseason surgery. He tallied only 18 points in 48 games, and the Stars stumbled to sixth in the tough Central Division.

"The recovery from the injury is not an issue at all," general manager Stan Bowman said. "We're excited obviously for getting him back on the ice with the group here."

Sharp was an All-Star in 2011 and has eclipsed the 30-goal plateau four times, all with Chicago.

"I know I am coming back to a city that I played in for 10 years and a group of guys that I'm really good friends with," Sharp said. "But at the same time, it is a transition. I'm switching teams. But I expect it to be a lot easier with that comfort level."

He won gold with Canada in the 2014 Olympics.
Working...
X