Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jimmy Johnson Wins The Pepsi 500 at Fontana!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Johnson Wins The Pepsi 500 at Fontana!

LINK: http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;...v=ap&type=lgns

By WILL GRAVES, AP Sports Writer
    FONTANA, Calif. (AP)—
    Jimmie Johnson is back in control of NASCAR’s Chase for the Championship.

The three-time defending Sprint Cup champion easily pulled away from Jeff Gordon following a restart with three laps left to win the Pepsi 500 on Sunday at Auto Club Speedway for his fifth victory of the year and 45th overall.

The win was Johnson’s fourth at the 2-mile oval and sent a message to the rest of the contenders he has no plans of giving up his spot atop the series easily.

“What else can you say? They’re the best out there,” Gordon said. “They’ve won the last three championships. They’re going to be hard to beat for this one. Really, unless they make a mistake, I don’t see how they lose it.”

Waiting out the delay, Johnson worried he didn’t have enough car to hold off Gordon. He shouldn’t have. His No. 48 Chevrolet roared away from his Hendrick Motorsports teammate on the restart as he quickly put the rest of the field in his rearview mirror to vault him into the points lead for the first time all season.

“That’s it, that’s what we want,” Johnson said. “We’ve just got to keep chipping away.”

Juan Pablo Montoya was third, his fourth straight top-five finish. Mark Martin, who started the day with an 18-point lead over Johnson, was fourth and now trails Johnson by 12 points heading into Saturday night’s race at Charlotte.

Tony Stewart rallied from an early pit-road speeding penalty to finish fifth.

Gordon briefly slipped by Johnson in the later stages but held out no real hope of catching him.

“He’s unbelievable out there,” Gordon said. “From where I was at, he ran away with it today.”

Johnson, however, wasn’t ready to proclaim the Chase over with six weeks left.

“We got maximum points today … but I don’t want to think about it,” he said.

While Johnson surged, several Chase contenders stumbled. Denny Hamlin, Kasey Kahne, Greg Biffle and Brian Vickers all saw their Chase hopes likely evaporate for good.

Hamlin was leading with 60 laps to go when he collided with Montoya on a restart. Hamlin spun into a barrier at the end of pit road and quickly drove his No. 11 Toyota back to the garage. He attempted to get back on the track after missing 25 laps but was black-flagged for not reaching minimum speed.

“I made a rookie mistake,” said Hamlin, who finished 37th. “I thought I was clear and I misjudged it. I got to apologize to the team. They deserve better than that.”

Kahne and Biffle didn’t fare much better. The two got together with about 15 laps to go when fellow Chaser Kurt Busch got loose, sending Biffle into Kahne. The two slid across the infield grass. Biffle ended up 20th while Kahne slid to 34th.

“NASCAR threw a debris caution for no debris,” the frustrated Kahne said. “We had a bad race to get a caution to put a show on for the fans.”

Stewart, who vaulted back into the thick of the title hunt with a win at Kansas last week, started 20th but steadily moved into the top 10 before being penalized for going too fast while exiting the pits, sending him a lap down. Stewart apologized over the radio to crew chief Darian Grubb before scrambling to fifth.

“We were lucky,” Stewart said.

They needed to be more than that to catch Johnson, who admitted that he was frustrated by an inability in recent weeks to close out races. He finished ninth last week at Kansas despite having arguably the best car on the track at times.

There were no such troubles this time. He didn’t panic when a couple of slow pit stops cost him track position early, letting crew chief Chad Knauss make sure he got the car right.

Once Johnson did, he wasted little time taking control. He led by as much as eight seconds at one point before the cautions bunched up the field.

Montoya brought the car he used at Indianapolis in July, hoping to duplicate the dominance he showed at the Brickyard before giving the victory away with a careless pit road speeding penalty, a mistake that opened the door for Johnson.

Johnson didn’t need the handout on Sunday.

Last edited by Leafsfan1967; 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM.

Last edited by Leafsfan1967; 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

.....and the day's losers!

Comment

Thanks for making the post, I was on my way back from Buffalo....WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!

Maximum points day....doesn't get much better than that! And the new points leader heading to one of his favorite tracks!

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
        Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
        Johnson/Mears/
        Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Originally posted by jsab4807 View Post
          Thanks for making the post, I was on my way back from Buffalo....WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!

Maximum points day....doesn't get much better than that! And the new points leader heading to one of his favorite tracks!
          Chad, and Jimmy are on a mission, and if they don't have any bad luck, it will be very tough for anyone to beat them, IMO. Juan Pablo Montoya had a very dominant car today, too especially in the first half of the race when it was a bit cloudy out, but once the sun came out, he fell back a little bit, and Jimmy took over. I was a little upset that Hamlin crashed, as he was one of my 4 fantasy drivers today, and was top 5 all day to that point. Stewart got a decent finish, even though he was junk all day long, and that's what you need to win championships. Mark Martin had a good day too, so he's still in it. I hope he wins it deep down. I was thinking earlier today would Martin even be in the 5 car if the horrific plane crash didn't claim the life of Ricky Jr, and the others that were travelling with him?

Comment

So much for Mark Martin ever winning a Championship...oh well.
            Collecting all Cleveland teams, Ohio State Alumni, and Columbus Blue Jackets.
            My Bucket My Tradelists
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selby56 View Post
              So much for Mark Martin ever winning a Championship...oh well.

My friend there are still 6 races left, and he's in 2nd place a mere 12 points behind leader Jimmy Johnson. If Johnson, or anyone for that matter has a bad race, crash, blown motor etc. Then Mark is back on point. This is far from being over!

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsfan1967 View Post
                My friend there are still 6 races left, and he's in 2nd place a mere 12 points behind leader Jimmy Johnson. If Johnson, or anyone for that matter has a bad race, crash, blown motor etc. Then Mark is back on point. This is far from being over!
                Only problem is, all of the Chase tracks are Johnsons best. Mark still has a chance, but something out of Johnsons control is going to have to happen, because it is very unlikely that he is just going to have a bad day on these tracks.
                Collecting all Cleveland teams, Ohio State Alumni, and Columbus Blue Jackets.
                My Bucket My Tradelists
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X