Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CM Punk Now Writing Thor Comics For Marvel

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-...044543594.html

When CM Punk retired from the WWE earlier this year, the news sent shockwaves through professional wrestling. Why would the immensely popular two-time WWE champion leave the industry so abruptly? Rumors swirled. But for whatever reason, the 36-year-old has said he will "never ever" return to wrestling. Now, the guy known as "The Best in the World" has a new gig — he's a comic book writer. Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, is penning his first script for Marvel's "Thor" franchise. The iconoclastic sports entertainment veteran gave an interview with the publisher's website, where he revealed several details about the upcoming project.

Marvel.com: How did this project come together?

CM Punk: I can’t remember, and I knew you were gonna ask me that. I’ve been thinking for the past two hours like, “How did this all come about?” I mean, you know I’ve been pestering people at Marvel. I think it might’ve been…well, I think I met you at San Diego Comic-Con 2011, something like that?

Punk, who is working with artist Rob Guillory on Thor Annual #1, realizes he's been given a huge opportunity.

I’m writing Thor, one of the Marvel heavy hitters. They make movies about him now, if you didn’t know. And I think we’re both almost looking at it like, “Man, if we never get another assignment from Marvel, then we have to write and/or draw as many Marvel characters as we possibly can!” And I think this kind of gives us the freedom. I think we’re kind of under-the-radar, and there’s not really a whole lot of pressure on us to deliver some sort of a magnum opus as a 10-page backup story in an annual, so I think we have a lot of freedom that could be really fun.

The comic book afficianado said he's working on a story featuring a teenage version of the God of Thunder. It's set for release in February. He also mentions his former career will help him.

I’m definitely prepared to fall flat on my face, I think. If anything, [wrestling] got me used to understanding that failure is part of a process, and the only real failure is if you don’t try. Like I could be nervous and bite my fingernails, worried that I think my book is gonna be a piece of crap, but I could be not doing it, and that would be the true failure.
Working...
X