Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather Beats Manny Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather defeats Manny Pacquiao in unanimous decision

I dont watch boxing ever, but went to my friend's house to watch this with some coworkers. This fight was crap. All Mayweather did was punch and run away. I stick with UFC for a reason and dont see why anyone would pay $100 for this crap.

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather stands alone.

Unified welterweight world champion.

The pound-for-pound best.

And king of the era.

Mayweather turned in a vintage performance as he outboxed Manny Pacquiao in a brilliant display to win a unanimous decision in one of the biggest fights in boxing history before a sold-out and star-studded crowd of 16,507 on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Judge Dave Moretti scored the fight 118-110, and judges Glenn Feldman and Burt Clements both had it 116-112. ESPN.com also had it 116-112 for Mayweather, who remains undefeated at 48-0.

The massively hyped fight, more than five years in the making, became a global event. While it was not the drama-filled battle many had hoped for, it was an impressive performance from Mayweather, the master boxer, who never allowed the more powerful Pacquiao to deliver any truly big punches as he pulled away in the second half of the fight.

Mayweather, who had many harsh words for Pacquiao over the years before the fight was finally signed in February, was gracious in victory.

"He's a hell of a fighter. I take my hat off to Manny Pacquiao," Mayweather said. "Now I see why he's one of the guys at the pinnacle."

There was so much on the line for the fighters, as Mayweather, already a five-division champion, laid claim to Pacquiao's 147-pound world title (in addition to the two he already owned at welterweight) and left no doubt as to the identity of the No.1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

More significantly, Mayweather won the legacy fight, stamping himself as the best fighter of an era he and Pacquiao have shared and dominated. During their great runs, they both won numerous world titles and beat five common opponents, all likely Hall of Famers, in Oscar De La Hoya (already inducted), Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez and Shane Mosley.

And while the fight took years to make because of the intense squabbling between camps that do not like each other, Mayweather said it was worth the wait.

"He is a true champion at heart, and we both did our best tonight. When the books are written, it will be a great fight," he said.

Perhaps history will not record it as a great fight, but it will go down as the richest. It generated a live gate of approximately $74 million, and the pay-per-view television audience -- at about $100 per buy -- is expected to shatter the pay-per-view buy record (2.48 million) and pay-per-view revenue record ($150 million) set by previous Mayweather fights. In all, organizers expect the fight to generate some $400 million, and it was so big that it brought together rival networks HBO, which has Pacquiao under contract, and Showtime, Mayweather's broadcast home.

Mayweather, already the highest-paid athlete in the world in recent years, is expected to earn an estimated $180 million from the fight and Pacquiao around $120 million.

Money aside, the competitive juices still flowed through both. Mayweather had said before the fight, "I never wanted to win a fight so bad in my life."

After the fight, he said, "I knew he was going to push and win some rounds. He had some moments, but I kept him on the outside. I didn't get hit with a lot of shots, unless I stood in the pocket. I'm a calculating fighter, but he's a tough competitor.

"My dad [trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr.] wanted me to do more, but Pacquiao is a tough competitor and an awkward fighter."

Pacquiao thought he should have gotten the decision.

"It's a good fight. I thought I won the fight," he said. "He didn't do anything. He moved outside. I got him many more times with a lot of punches, and I thought I won the fight; I was never hurt. I was very surprised at the scores."

Pacquiao also said after the fight that he injured his right shoulder in training, and his camp said Nevada boxing commissioners denied a request for him to take an anti-inflammatory shot in his dressing room before facing off with Mayweather.

"The ruling made tonight affected the outcome of the fight," promoter Bob Arum said.

It was a tension-filled bout, as Mayweather and Pacquiao sized each other up early. Pacquiao winced from a borderline low blow in the third round and then backed Mayweather into a corner and fired a few shots, causing Mayweather to tie him up.

That appeared to be part of his strategy, to get Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) on the ropes. When he could get Mayweather there, Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) let his hands go and the crowd went wild.

In the fourth round, Pacquiao nailed Mayweather with a hard straight left hand that sent him into the ropes, and he then unloaded numerous punches as the crowd erupted. Floyd shook his head as if to indicate he was not hurt, but then got caught with a right hook.

Mayweather was not throwing as many punches as Pacquiao at that point, but when he did, he was accurate, especially with his jab as he controlled the distance of the fight. But Pacquiao had bursts, such as in the sixth round, when he fired straight left hands to back Mayweather into the ropes before unleashing multiple flurries.

As aggressive as Pacquiao tried to be, Mayweather was able to blunt him, blocking punches and countering with jabs and straight right hands as he seemed to get into a groove in the seventh round.

Pacquiao let his hands go when Mayweather went to the ropes but didn't land his shots cleanly enough to truly hurt Mayweather, who also never hurt him.

"I could handle his power," Pacquiao said. "He was not as strong as [Miguel] Cotto or [Antonio] Margarito. He is not bigger than me. I have been fighting bigger guys than him."

Pacquiao, whose southpaw style did not seem to bother Mayweather at all, continued to follow him around as he tried to land a big shot, but he couldn't.

Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said he thought Mayweather had old legs in the lead-up to the fight but he could not have been more wrong. Mayweather's legs were as good as ever as he darted and dashed away from most of Pacquiao's power shots.

Roach, a Hall of Famer and seven-time trainer of the year, also thought Pacquiao, the 36-year-old Filipino legend, won the fight.

"I thought we pulled it out," Roach said. "I asked him to throw more combinations between rounds but maybe he fought flat-footed a little too much."

The crowd tried to lift Pacquiao in the 12th round with chants of "Manny! Manny!" but it was more of the same as the previous several rounds as Mayweather boxed, moved and countered. That is the style that made Mayweather, of Las Vegas, an all-time great, and he wasn't about to change when he didn't have to -- even as Pacquiao pursued him with a seeming sense of desperation as the seconds wound down to the end of the fight.

For the fight, Mayweather landed 148 of 435 punches (34 percent) while Pacquiao suffered through one of his worst offensive performances, connecting on just 81 of 429 blows for a paltry 19 percent against one of boxing's all-time great defensive fighters.

Pacquiao, boxing's only eight-division titleholder, said he would "take a vacation and take a rest" before contemplating his future. Given the rancor between the camps and networks, a rematch seems unlikely, especially with the clear nature of the outcome.

Mayweather, despite the massive windfall of money, said he intends to fight again in the fall in what would be the final fight of the six-fight contract he signed with Showtime/CBS in 2013.

"I'm fighting in September, yes," the 38-year-old Mayweather said, although who he will face is a mystery. "I got one more fight with Showtime/CBS. You guys have done a remarkable job. My last fight is in September."

In another indication Mayweather is nearing the end of his career, he said he would vacate the world titles he currently holds.

"I'm a world champion in two different weight classes," he said. "It's time to let other fighters fight for the belt."

Mayweather said he wants to get out of the hurt business while he is still on top and has his money and marbles.

"I'm almost 40 years old and been in this sport for a long time, champion for 18 years," Mayweather said. "I am fighting in September, and then it's time for me to hang it up."

Whenever he does hang it up, he will take with him one of the great legacies in boxing history, one that was cemented with a dazzling performance against Pacquiao.

So frustrating to watch this one....Mayweather punching, and running the whole time. Mayweather won on the scorecards, but Manny won in the effort category. I love cheering for the US, but this piece of $#!t made me stray from that for the 1st time!!
    Oh well, hopefully he gets knocked out in last fight, but he'll probably fight some no-name and retire undefeated.
    Currently looking for:
    Football: The Gronk!
    Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
    Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
    + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
    Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
    http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

Floyd Mayweather changes mind, says he will not grant Manny Pacquiao a rematch

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, who told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Tuesday that he would be willing to put off his planned September retirement to grant Manny Pacquiao a rematch next year, said he has changed his mind.

"Did I text Stephen A. Smith and say I will fight him again? Yeah, but I change my mind. At this particular time, no, because he's a sore loser and he's a coward," Mayweather told Showtime in an interview taped this week that will air Saturday night (9 ET) during the network's replay of last Saturday night's megafight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"If you lost, accept the loss and say, 'Mayweather, you were the better fighter,'" Mayweather continued.

Mayweather won a unanimous decision in the welterweight world championship fight, which will go down as the richest in boxing history and one of the most anticipated fights ever.

After the fight, Pacquiao said he went into the ring with a right shoulder injury that hampered his performance. Pacquiao had arthroscopic surgery Wednesday in Los Angeles to repair what his surgeon, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, termed a "significant tear" to his rotator cuff.

Pacquiao will be out of the ring for nine months to a year, but Mayweather, who planned to fight again in September in the final bout of his six-fight Showtime/CBS contract and then retire, told Smith he would fight Pacquiao in a rematch next spring once he had healed.

Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs), however, is annoyed that Pacquiao (57-6-2, 38 KOs) and his team have blamed the loss on the shoulder injury rather than give Mayweather credit for his performance.

"I'm not going to buy into the bulls--- ... and I don't want the public to buy into the bulls---," Mayweather said. "He lost. He knows he lost. I lost a lot of respect for him after all of this."

Asked whether he could detect a problem with Pacquiao's right arm during the fight, Mayweather said, "Absolutely not. He was fast. His left hand was fast. His right hand was fast, and he was throwing them both fast and strong. Excuses, excuses."

After the fight, Mayweather said his shoulders and hands were hurt going into the fight but he didn't make excuses. He said he instead found a way to win, as he always does.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight shatters all-time live gate record

The Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight on May 2 officially destroyed all-time boxing records for pay-per-view buys, pay-per-view revenue and live gate -- just some of the numerous financial records shattered by the richest fight in the sport's history.

According to initial figures released Tuesday by Showtime and HBO, more than 4.4 million pay-per-view telecasts of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight were purchased in the United States, generating more than $400 million in revenue. Those figures nearly doubled the previous record for PPV buys and more than doubled the mark for highest PPV revenue.

Also, the Nevada State Athletic Commission announced Tuesday that the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight generated $72,198,500 from the sale of 16,219 tickets at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

The blockbuster welterweight title unification fight, more than five years in the making, may have been a dud in the ring as Mayweather outboxed Pacquiao for a unanimous decision but it was a gargantuan commercial success.

"I think it was something we knew we would beat the prior record, but we didn't have any reasonable expectation that it would exceed it by as much as it did," Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, told ESPN.com. "We were confident it would go over 3 million (PPV buys), maybe do 3.5 million on the outside. But it just caught fire."

Arum said the initial number was "conservative" and projected that the final totals for the pay-per-view buys will "definitely" surpass 4.5 million.

"People were fascinated by the event," Arum said.

The previous pay-per-view revenue record and gate record had been set by Mayweather's junior middleweight title unification victory against Canelo Alvarez in 2013. That fight, also at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, generated $150 million in PPV revenue and $20,003,150 from the sale of 16,146 tickets.

Mayweather's 2007 junior middleweight title victory against Oscar De La Hoya had held the previous record for pay-per-view buys at 2.48 million, and that fight had a gate of $18,419,200 from the sale of 15,423 tickets to the MGM Grand.

"The incredible demand for the fight produced these unbelievable numbers," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com. "Everyone involved with the promotion is extremely thankful and appreciative for the fans.

"Floyd always has an incredible expectation and he pushes everyone on his team toward our internal goal. He set the bar high for these record-breaking kind of events and none of this would be possible without the support of the fans across the globe. There are no losers when you talking about chopping up this kind of paper (money)."

The deal between the camps called for Mayweather to earn 60 percent of the revenue and for Pacquiao's side to receive 40 percent. With such a massive pay-per-view total, they will both earn millions more than initially expected.

Mayweather could earn $250 million, with Pacquiao set to make more than $120 million.

"Floyd is going to make a lot of money," said Ellerbe, who was at a loss for any other words on the topic.

The event will easily soar past $500 million in total revenue, making it by far the richest fight in boxing history.

Additional fight revenue included:

• A record of approximately $40 million from international television rights from 175 countries;

• A record $13.2 million from sponsorships, including a record $5.6 million paid by Tecate as the title beer sponsor;

• Nearly $19 million in national closed circuit revenue from tickets sold at more than 5,000 bars, restaurants and commercial establishments;

• Another $6.9 million in closed circuit revenue from a record 46,000 tickets sold (at $150 apiece) at MGM Resorts International properties in Las Vegas;

• Merchandise sales approaching several million dollars.

Mayweather Promotions and Top Rank, the event's co-promoters, said numerous times prior to the fight that there would be no free tickets, but according to the commission gate report, there were 46 complimentary tickets issued -- four in the $10,000 price category and 42 in the $2,500 price range. Surprisingly, there were nine unsold tickets to the fight -- six in the $7,500 category, two in the $5,000 category and one in the $3,500 price range.

As for the breakdown, $12.26 million came from the sale of 1,226 tickets with a face value of $10,000. Another $11.955 million came from the sale of 1,594 tickets in the $7,500 range.

The most money -- $24.67 million -- came from the sale of 4,934 tickets in the $5,000 range. Another $14,143,500 came from the sale of 4,041 tickets at $3,500 apiece.

The $2,500 price range generated $6.335 million from the sale of 2,534 tickets and the $1,500 price range generated $2.835 million from the sale of 1,890 tickets.

The average face value cost of tickets to the fight was $4,451.48, although it was much greater in reality because of the mark up of the ticket prices on the secondary market.

To put the Mayweather-Pacquiao gate record in perspective, the Super Bowl typically generates a gate of around $80 million. The big difference, however, is that there are usually more than 70,000 tickets available for the Super Bowl.

Comment

Working...
        X