Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Topps Gridiron Legends Football

2011 Topps Gridiron Legends Football
    Topps Salutes The NFL's Cherished Past Heroes, Vibrant Stars, and This Year's Freshmen in an All New Release Featuring:
    Dual, Triple, Autograph Cards PLUS Jumbo Patch, Combo, and Stamp Relic Cards at a Rate of 4 Hits per Hobby Box!

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
    New! Topps Gridiron Legends Football, Celebrating the Past, Present & Future Stars of the NFL
    - 4 Hits In Every Hobby Box With At Least 1 Autograph Hit!
    - Focused Checklist with 30 Legends, 55 Rookies, and 80 Veterans
    - Autograph & Autograph Relic Cards From Some of the Best to Have Played
    - One-of-a Kind 1956 Topps Reprint ON-CARD Autograph Cards
    - JUMBO Relic and SUPER Swatch Cards
    - Combo Relic Cards with 2 Legends and 2 Relics
    - Hobby Exclusive Unique Autograph Stamp Relic Cards
    - Hobby Exclusive Triple Autograph Patch and Relic Cards

NOW LETS SEE THE GOODIES

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y49RYlRVVss&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y49RYlRVVss&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&versi on=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

BASE CARDS

The base cards are pretty straight forward and classy. Players are in color actions shots with the team logo on the bottom right with an almost transparent back drop of the field of play. It is an easy design but well done. Anytime you have the player being the focus of the card and not the gimmicks you get 5 stars from me.

ROOKIES

Rookies are done in the same concept as the base cards. That being said I think you can easily put together the rookie set without any issues. The cardboard stock for this product is fantastic. If you are into grading, these rookie cards would grade well! Every major rookie was pulled that I can think of just in my one box. Considering the price of the box you can not beat that.

PARALLELS

Only pulled 2 numbered variations that just happen to be both of the same team. Again well done the color variations really make the card pop.

INSERTS

Pretty straight forward here. Again players in full color overlay a transparent background. These will be great for player collectors and are a change of pace of the base cards with design.

THE HITS

Three of the four hits were single color jersey swatches. One however was a red (/99) parallel of future rookie of the year Cam Newton.

Our last hit was an autograph of Da'Rel Scott. He is on the active roster of the New York Giants so that was a bonus. The autograph card is using the same design as the others with a sticker overlay. The card is of such quality that if these were on card autographs, they would look great.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

At an average hobby box price of $63, there isnt much to not like about this product. It is classy and includes great retired veteran base cards mixed in with current players. There is no way you can come away from this product not getting players you like.

Pros
    • Classy Design (not busy or distracting)
    • Cardboard Stock is Fantastic
    • Able To Pull Major Rookie Cards In One Box

Cons
    • Single Color Swatches
    • Sticker Autos
    • Questionable Player Selection For Signed Cards

PRODUCT RATING

Value = 5
    Design = 3
    Joy Of Break = 5
    Resale Value = 4

Overall I would give a B rating for this Topps product!

If I had not seen other hits online I would have graded maybe a bit lower. Just for the simple fact that the jersey swatches were single color and the autograph was of a guy nobody has heard of. The cost of the box saves the product for what you could pull out of it.

NPN

NPN 2011 Topps Gridiron Legends Football
    P.O. Box 763
    Pittson, PA 19640

Postmarked by 1/12/11.

I would like to thank Card Collectors World and Topps for giving me the opportunity to review this product!

^^^ Sig Revolves w/Every Refresh or Post^^^

Nice review Howard. The base cards look nice and clean, much like the old Topps Trademark Moves Basketball products. Congrats on pulling the Cam Newton GU.

Comment

Sweet Cam Newton!

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
      Johnson/Mears/
      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

Good grab on that /99 Newton... great review Howard

Comment

Nice review! The design is sharp!

Comment

nice stuff, esp the cam
            Not looking for anything specific, just whatever catches my eye, but I am partial to Chicago Cubs, David Wright, Jim Palmer, Miguel Cabrera, and Yao Ming

My Bucket

Comment

Nice review, wish the hits were more NFL legends than rookies....
              HOFFMOEN
              Looking for Auto's & G/u of NY Mets, NY Giants, HOFers, Old time players, 8x10 Photos & Celebrity Auto's
              http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t347/Hoffmoen/

http://www.4salebytubers.com/ccw/Store/Hoffmoen

I am currently Supercollecting the following players,

Mike Piazza, Jose Reyes, David Wright
              Drew Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Eli Manning, Tiki Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Odell Beckham Jr. New PC item - any card #ed 4/25

Comment

I really like this product, thanks for the review.

Comment

Great review. I like the nice clean look of these cards!

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
                  Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
                  Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
                  MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
                  NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
                  NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
                  NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
                  I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

I LOVE the base cards of this set, sadly though, the relics and auto's are of rookies...most no namer's - which seems misleading for a product called Gridiron Legends and for me personally is a big let down as I mainly collect legends/hof's. =(

Comment

I love the look and feel. Not as grand as the high end stuff but nice. But as everyone said the rookie autos are lacking. I personally am trying to complete the rookie auto set. But it feels like their are hundreds of the low end rookies made and very few high end rookies. Some aren't even on the checklist. I have never seen some sold on ebay. I've seen hundreds of the DJ Williams but no Titus Youngs or Colin Kap...........ck. Are people really holding onto these guys that much or have they not been pulled yet. Feels weird with some many hits of some guys and so little hits of some others. They all are surpose to be 160 serial numbered rookie cards atleast not adding nonserial numbered ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X