Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Press Pass Portrait Edition

2010 Press Pass Portrait Edition Football

I would first like to thank Press Pass for making this box available to us for review!

Configuration: 20 packs per box. 5 cards per pack.

CONTENT HIGHLIGHTS:
    - At least 7 On-Card Autos in every Box!
    - One Autograph Or Game-Used Jersey Card In Every Other Pack!
    - Look for randomly inserted "red ink" and "nickname" variations, a Press Pass tradition!
    - Graduating Class Autos - Autographed insert, featuring signatures from two top rookies!
    - Sideline Signatures - Product Exclusive Autographed insert with four levels to collect!
    - Also look for the popular "Class of 2010 Autographs" highlighting the top names from the 2010 Draft Class and "Game Day Gear Autograph Edition", one of 5 material parallels, all featuring rare game-used collegiate jerseys!

Here’s what was in our box of 2010 Press Pass Portrait Edition.

Base cards

The photography is just as the name implies: portrait. The majority of players were photographed in situations that permitted a good shot of them without their helmets on (sidelines, running on or off of the field…), with only a few players having “action” photos on their cards. This being the first year for PE, these cards are pretty straightforward. They’re clean and direct, not too busy. On the front, the Press Pass PE 2010 logo is on the upper left with the player’s name in the upper right, both in silver foil. The photo is large and centered on the card in what looks like an arched window, with the player’s position printed underneath. The backs have a short bio of the player and his college record, along with a cropped version of the photo on the front. The cards are made from premium stock and have a good feel to them.

Inserts

Class of 2010 – A 10-card set that falls 1:4

We got all 5 that we should have:

Jahvid Best
    C.J. Spiller
    Jimmy Clausen
    Sam Bradford
    Toby Gerhart

Face to Face – A 20-card set that falls 1:2

Again, we got all that were expected, including:

Jimmy Clausen/Toby Gerhart
    Tim Tebow/Jevan Snead
    Freddie Barnes/Antonio Brown
    Dez Bryant/Jordan Shipley
    James Starks/Dan LeFevour

Headliners – A 34-card set that falls 1:1

We also got the expected number of these, including:

Tony Pike
    C.J. Spiller
    Brandon LaFell
    Ndamukong Suh
    Jason Pierre-Paul

Gold Foil Base Parallels – Hobby only parallel set with gold instead of silver foil that falls 1:4.

As with the other insert sets, we got what was “promised”.

Daryll Clark
    Mike Kafka
    Joe McKnight
    Zac Robinson
    Demaryius Thomas

THE HITS

Game Day Gear - 3 per box.

These consist of an action shot and name of the player on the left side of the card (numbering is at the bottom of the photo, above the player’s name), and the jersey swatch and player’s number on the right, along with the press Pass Seal in the upper right corner and the Game Day Gear title on the bottom. We got 2 that were done in silver foil and 1 in gold foil that was serial numbered out of 199.

Silver Game Day Gear

Navarro Bowman
    Tim Tebow

Gold Game Day Gear

Montario Hardesty – numbered 141/199.

Sideline Signatures – 7 per box

The autographed cards in this set use the same photos as the base cards, but they are cropped to use less of the cards area, leaving room for the signature. The “arched window” I referred to in my description of the base cards is flipped over (arched side down) and the player’s name is under the photo rather than above it. The Sideline Signatures set name is across the bottom, below the signature itself. My scanner had a hard time picking this up without distorting the rest of the scan, so I quit trying to make it show up.

All 7 of the autographs we got were the gold version. None were numbered or had red ink.

Danario Alexander
    Dezmon Briscoe
    Dexter McCluster
    Gerald McCoy
    Jevan Snead
    Jeremy Williams
    Rusty Smith (with “Isaiah 41:10” inscription)

Final Thoughts

Overall, I enjoyed opening this box very much. I was able to put the entire 50-card base set together with only 3 duplicate cards. There weren’t any duplicate insert cards or hits, and I got the feeling that completing the inserts sets is very possible. I would have been happier getting either a parallel autograph OR one of the autograph variations (Graduating Class, Head of the Class…) OR a bigger-named player autograph than the ones that were in this box, but we did get good signatures from players I know of, so I can’t gripe too much. Most of the insert sets are the same as the ones that were in SE last year – updated a bit but not very different (one set WAS renamed). A good product, though. I'll be getting more soon.

Here's how I would rate this product on a scale of 1-5;

Value = 5
    Innovation = 4
    Fun and Experience = 4.5
    Rebuy Value = 5

I rate this product "A-". Even though there was a complete base set in my box, it was fun to open and I will buy more in an effort to pull a few different autographs and jerseys.

NPN INFO:

US & Canada (except Quebec)

NPN 2010 Press Pass PE Football
    9115 Harris Corners Parkway, Suite 200
    Charlotte, NC 28269

Only one hand-printed entry on a 3 x 5 card per envelope mailed separately and postmarked by July 27th and received by August 3rd.

Canadian entries must include the answer to a mathematical skill test: 50 + (2x4) – 10 =?

I would like to thank Press Pass and CCW for giving me the chance to review this product.

Support the sponsors that support CCW
    Last edited by ejiminee; 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM.
    - Dave

I collect Calvin, Barry, 1 auto each of rookie Lions that make the team & HOF auto & GU.

Albums

Updated 3/25/2016

Great review Dave.

Comment

Nice review Dave. I like the look of the Headliners and the Game Day Gear. Thanks Press Pass for another great product.

Comment

Great review. I like the looks of the auto's this time around. I really like portrait pics vs action photo's.

Thanks Press Pass for another outstanding product!

Dan

Comment

Good review, love the on card autos, thanks Press Pass!

Comment

Fantastic Review. The "On Card" Autographs are some of the best I've seen. I really like the look of the cards that are autographed. They are different!
            Randy
            United States Air Force, Retired
            ranbethscards.com

Freedom Is Not Free

From the time of discovery and for the
            balance of life, an individual diagnosed
            with cancer IS a Survivor!

Thank You GOD...I am a Survivor!

Comment

great review, nice hit with the tebow
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/92956495@N04/sets/

my photobucket is my collection. some will be easier to trade than others, so don't be offended if I turn down a trade offer I don't like
              I collect hof au's/gu's,rcs and select lions/bears/vikings/twins/cubs for friends

Comment

nice review..I like the way this set looks!
                Pics: http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/casket_photos/

Comment

good review, press pass is moving in the right direction
                  UD Baseball MASTER SET Collector!! I need 1 copy of every BB card UD made. My want list is far from complete. LMK what you have & what you want

Comment

Hello,
                    Nicely done Dave ! I too would have hoped for a bigger "pull" but do respect Press Pass on card autos and the accurate insert ratio. The cards portrait style is not my favorite (I prefer the game action photos) but are clean and have a roster of all the notable players you would want. I have bought several packs and will probably buy more.
                    Nice review !
                    Dabber
                    Lions and Football Autographs

http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/sdabber/

Comment

I think that they're really nice cards, and especially the autographs that are on the card instead of on stickers!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X