2009 PP Legends Racing Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 PP Legends Racing Review

First of all, I want to thank Kirsten at Press Pass for the opportunity to open, and review, this box.

Press Pass Legends Racing

Once again, Press Pass releases a set that fans of NASCAR, or of racing in general, are sure to enjoy. The 2009 Legends Racing release is a first for Press Pass, and it comes as a natural progression, given the success of their Legends Football products over the past few years.

Each hobby box contains 3 mini boxes, each with 6 packs, 5 cards per pack. Each mini box offers one autograph, and one race used memorabilia card, on average. Here is what can be pulled from these packs

Product Highlights
    Base set: 70 card base set featuring yesterday and todays greatest racers
    Racing Cuts: Historic Cut Signatures
    Family Cuts: Multi Signature cards signed by legendary NASCAR families
    Racing Artifacts Legends Series: Race used memorabilia
    Racing Artifacts Signature Edition: Signed race used memorabilia cards from retired greats.
    Prominent Pieces: Multi Race used memorabilia pieces of current stars
    Four Wide Signature Series: Autographs of current stars paired with three pieces of memorabilia
    Family Relics: Multi piece memorabilia cards featuring NASCARs most famous families
    Legends Autographs: Autographs of racing legends, with short print inscriptions and red ink varieties.
    All autographs and event used combine to fall 1:3 packs:
    Press Plates: Original Press Plates used in the creation of the PP Legends set- serially numbered 1/1
    Past and Present: 12 card embossed insert set with two #ing levels (1:12 packs)
    Family Portraits: Embossed inserts with two #d levels (1:6 packs)
    Base card parallels: Four #d levels, including the 1/1 solo parallel version (#d parallels combine to fall 1:2 packs)

Now, for what everyone really wants to see: What I pulled:

Base cards: 70/70 100%: Duplicates: 3

#d Parallels: Silver /399: 5: Rusty Wallace, Kevin Harvick, Geoff Bodine, Kurt Busch, Dale Jarrett

#d Parallels: Ruby /199: 3: Lee Petty, John Force, Red Farmer

#d Parallels: Rainbow /50: 1: Ricky Rudd

Past and Present Legends /550: 2: Tim Flock/Jimmy Johnson, Ned Jarrett/Jeff Gordon

Family Portraits /550: 3: Force, Earnhardt, Waltrip

Now, for the exciting part of the box- the hits. I received the suggested 6 hits, 3 autos and 3 memorabilia pieces. Heres what I got

Autographs: 3: David Pearson, Donnie Allison, Kevin Harvick Gold Parallel /40

Event Used: 3: Racing Artifacts Donnie Allison Race Used Fire Suit #d /25 (small manufacturer damage to this one)

Racing Artifacts Richard Petty Race Used Sheet Metal #d /199

Prominent Pieces Kevin Harvick Firesuit/Shoes/Gloves Triple Event Used #d /99

Final thoughts/set breakdown

I went about this break with a slightly different mindset. Im not a huge racing collector, as compared to a lot of people. So, in addition to doing this break, I wanted to look at it the following way: If a non-racing collector bought this box, would it get them to collect.

Value: 5/5 Without a doubt, this is the nicest racing product Ive ever opened, or seen opened. It combines a great lineup of current and past stars, and three autographs and three race used memorabilia cards in a box ensures that collectors of current or retired racers have a great chance of pulling cards they will love.

Innovation: 4/5 The base cards look much like the 2009 Press Pass Legends football base, which is fine, but the #d parallels being nothing more than the base card with a different edge and a serial number are not super exciting. The insert sets are very nice looking, especially the Family Portraits set, which feature a raised, checkerboard surface that is very innovative, and is frankly, one of the nicer insert sets Ive seen in any product

Fun and Experience: 4/5/5 My room-mate helped me open these, and even though neither of us follow racing closely, we both recognized most of the names, and enjoyed passing the cards back and forth to look at

Quality of Hits: 5/5 Some really nice stuff. The Harvick auto /40 is great, as are all three race used pieces. The autograph design is plain, but that is ok with me, and on-card autographs helps make the product even more attractive. The one memorabilia card had a slight factory defect, but aside from that, these hits were great.

Rebuy: 4/5 This is not a box for set builders to buy, as you get a base set in the three boxes without any problem. Other than that, the numerous autograph, memorabilia, and insert sets assure that, aside from the base cards, the boxes will not be too similar

Conversion Factor: 3/5 What I mean by this is, how well would a non-racing collector like these cards. The cards are very well designed, and the event used, as mentioned, are gorgeous, but without having a knowledge of racing, this set may not be the best one for new racing collectors to start with. Its light on current stars, focusing more on the legends.

Overall Rating: 25/30

Once again, Id like to thank Kirsten, and the Press Pass company, for providing this box for me to review. Keep your eyes open for numerous contests in the coming months, as I give most of these cards away to our great members!

Please continue to support the sponsors who continue to support CCW!
    Last edited by Mister_Ed; 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM.

Great review and great product!! I really dig the Past & Present inserts. Very nice!!
    Last edited by Brads55; 11-04-2009, 05:22 PM.
    TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
    A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Once again, Press Pass kills it with Legends Racing! Excellent job as always, love the autos this year, and those past/present inserts are a great idea.
      Last edited by jsab4807; 11-04-2009, 06:09 PM.

Collecting: Browns/Cavaliers/Indians GU/Autos,
      Ohio State Autos, Jamaal Charles GU/Autos,
      Johnson/Mears/
      Reutimann/Nadeau

Comment

This is the ultimate in racing sets. I love those race used cards. Then there is that card with the founders of NASCAR The Flock Family. I need to get some of it.

Dan

Comment

I love the design of the cards, especially the race used cards, the cards just look old and give great mystique to the legends aspect of the set, thanks press pass!

Comment

Very nice review! You pulled a lot of really nice hits from that box too. The metal and suit cards look awesome.

Comment

I like the Past & Present inserts and the Family Portraits.

Sweet triple race used also.
              Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Comment

very nice review, got some nice cards too!
                Collecting Bears, current, and past greats, also picking up Lions, Vikings and set needs.

my bucket:
                http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/ctkenjr/

Due to time constraints not all items are always in my bucket (older items and occasionally the newest stuff)

Comment

Working...
                X