Cheap Cool Cards #17: 1993 Stadium Club "Master Photos"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Cool Cards #17: 1993 Stadium Club "Master Photos"

Are you a fan of oversized cards? How about 90's inserts? What about Stadium Club's premium photography? What about rock bottom pricing?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions... then you might just enjoy the oversized 1993 Stadium Club "Master Photos" inserts, which each measure 5" x 7".

According to Beckett... the baseball singles were available two ways. A redemption card was inserted into one out of every 24 packs, which could be redeemed for three Master Photos. In addition to redemption cards, these cards were inserted at a rate of one per hobby box. There were three different series of 10 cards to go along with the three different series of Stadium Club baseball in 1993.

The complete 30 card baseball set books for $24, but you can pick up one of these on eBay for under $17 shipped.

The football version of these were only available as redemption cards and came in both the first and second series. However, instead of 10 cards in each series, there were 12. Another difference between the football and baseball set is that the football set features an informative, numbered (not serial #'d), and fully colored back, while the baseball set's back was fairly plain.

Beckett currently lists the first series football set and the second series set at $15 a piece, but you can grab all 24 cards for less than $15 shipped on eBay.

I can't remember where or when I acquired these... but one thing is for sure... they were cheap. You might be wondering... how might I possibly know this. Well... there's a couple of reasons.

A. I didn't collect these in the 90's. I remember seeing them in my local card shop, but I never pulled one... nor did I ever buy any... so I never paid "top dollar"... whatever that may have been... back in the day.

B. They were most likely a flea market or Craigslist purchases. What does that mean? It means that they're cheap. I never buy things from either one of these places... unless it's something I'm really craving... or unless it's super cheap.

Oh... and if you're a fan of either basketball or hockey... they produced Stadium Club "Master Photos" for you too. The hockey set is similar to the football set. There are 24 cards in the set and both were available as redemption cards.

The basketball set is broken down into two team sets: the Houston Rockets & the New York Knicks. Each team set was the reward for pulling the respective Stadium Club "Super Team" insert card out of the 1993-94 series one packs.

Unfortunately... I don't have examples of either... but I do have an example from the 1992-93 Topps Archives "Master Photos" set.

Similar to the Stadium Club versions... they were found as a redemption card. The set highlights the #1 NBA draft picks from 1981 to 1991 (Topps missing years).

Well... what do you think of these? Are they your cup of tea?

More importantly...

What's your favorite 90's cheap insert set? Why?

Okay... time to add a little spice to the contest. If you want to play it safe... then just answer the question above and receive your point.

However... if you want to have a little fun... try to guess how many of these oversized "Master Photos" cards I own. Here's hint... it's between 5 and 20. If you guess the number correctly... I'll give you all of them except for the three I have shown (they're part of my PC). If there's more than one winner (yes, that means you copy someone else's guess), I'll enter your names into random.org and pick a winner that way. And if nobody guesses it correctly, then I'll choose the person who's guess is closest (doesn't matter if you go over... and I'll use random.org if that's a tie as well).

But there's a catch... incorrect responses will cost you two points (if you answer the question above, then I'll only take away one point... since things will balance itself out).

By the time this has been posted... I should have an updated contest post up too. And wow... those comments in the last post about rings and legacy were pretty amazing. Thanks for your participation!

Well... I'm headed off to work. Have a great day... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X