Hobby Hero(es) #5: Doug, Rob, & Dmitri @ Card Corner Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby Hero(es) #5: Doug, Rob, & Dmitri @ Card Corner Club

I love sports cards. I love collecting them. I love sorting them. I love trading them. I love talking about them. I love writing about them. And I love listening to people talk about them.

Right now... I check my iTunes on a weekly basis for these three sports card podcasts:

The Hobby w/Mike Schopp
    The Sports Card Show w/Colin & Ryan
    Card Corner Club w/Doug Cataldo, Rob Bertrand, and former MLB all-star Dmitri Young

All three are informative, entertaining, and are excellent sources of cardboard news and discussion. I've written about Colin & Ryan in the past... but today I'm going to write about Doug, Rob, and Dmitri... and why I think of them as hobby heroes.

Every time I listen to their podcast, it's an opportunity to take a break from the real world and just soak in some great cardboard discussion. The banter that goes on between Doug and Rob is both legendary and comical. I look forward to hearing what they're going to argue about next... and more often than not... I find myself shaking my head at some of the things Doug says, and agreeing with Rob. Regardless, both men stand up for the rights of card collectors.

Then there's Dmitri. Over the past few months, I've slowly grown to admire Dmitri Young as a fellow card collector. But it's not for reasons you might think.

My Dmitri Young Sports Card Trifecta

It's not because he has one of the most impressive rookie card collections out there, nor is it because he shares an MLB record with George Bell & Tuffy Rhodes as being the only players to hit three homeruns on Opening Day.

Both of these these things are awesome... and make me envious... but they're not the things that make him a hobby hero (along with Doug & Rob).

Nope... it's the fact that underneath those two things which make him famous... he's a human being...just like the rest of us. A human being who shares a common interest. A human being who stands up to his personal battles, doesn't back down, and overcomes them to share with others. A human being who is a positive role model to not only his own children, but for others who want to play sports and/or collect cards.

Merriam-Webster defines "hero" as a man admired for his achievement and noble qualities.

My definition of a "hobby hero" is a person who has a positive impact on the sports card collecting community. And these three gentlemen do just that.

And before I forget... I encourage you to go check out their blogs:

Now it's your turn...

Based on my definition...
    who would be some of your hobby heroes?

Besides the Card Corner Club cast... here are the other members of my Hobby Hall of Fame:

I've been pretty busy... so I'll have to update the contest scores this afternoon. I appreciate all of the comments... it's been fun reading all of them.

Have a great day... and enjoy the rest of your week. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X