"The Walrus" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Walrus" Project

When I first started collecting cardboard in the early 80's, I was obsessed with quantity over quality. I was the kid who would trade you a Pete Rose card or a Nolan Ryan card for 50 commons.

But as soon as I realized that baseball cards had monetary value, that philosophy quickly changed. The card that helped me see the light was a 1970 Topps Thurman Munson rookie card. One day, a neighborhood buddy came home from the local sports store with that card. He told us how the store owner explained that Munson's untimely death would eventually increase the values of his cards.

From that moment on, I've wanted to add his rookie card to my collection. Over the years, his reputation and legacy has slowly stirred my curiosity to the point where he's become somewhat of an icon that represents both my youth and hobby. This led to me wanting to pick up all of his regular issue Topps cards from his playing days.

Eventually, I acquired his 1972 and 1979 Topps cards, but when I purged my collection in 2001, the Munsons were sold off and the project was put on the back shelf.

Then last April, I bought a box of vintage sports cards at the flea market for $10. And inside of it, I found this 1973 Topps card of Munson:

A few months later, I picked a 1978 Topps card for a dollar at the GTSM Card Show:

And just like that, the project was rekindled. Fast forward to last week, when I came across this eBay lot for three more Munsons:

His 1971 Topps base card:

His 1974 Topps base card:

And his 1976 Topps base card:

I was so stoked to be able to pick up these three cards for $5.24. I know they're not in the greatest condition... but for the price, I'm not complaining.

Plus, I just picked up this 1975 Topps base card off of COMC for $2.50:

Which means... I just need four more to complete my project: 1970 (rookie card), 1972, 1977, and his 1979 Topps base cards. My goal is to have this project completed by the end of the year. But I'm not making any promises, since I'm on a fixed budget and will only pick singles up if they're cheap.

Okay, today's question is...

Do you remember the first card you absolutely wanted to have in your collection? How long did it take for you to get it?

I'm not sure when I'll finally pick up the Munson rookie card. But if I get it this year, that means I only had to wait around 30 years to get one.

Happy Thursday everyone.. and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X