Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the 90's, I actually wanted to pull this redemption card.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the 90's, I actually wanted to pull this redemption card.

Believe it or not... there was a time when I actived chased a redemption card. Seriously... back in 1998 I picked up a few packs of 1998 Skybox E-X2001 and in hopes of pulling this redemption card:

That year a twenty-one year old pitcher had taken the hobby by storm and his name was Kerry Wood. While prospectors may have known his name before, on May 6th, 1998... Wood became a household name.

In just his 5th MLB start, he struck out twentyHouston Astros and pitched a one hit shutout.

His 1997 Bowman's Best, Bowman, and Bowman Chrome rookie cards took off. And although I would have loved to owned these, the card I truly wanted was the above redemption card.

E-X2001 was extremely popular, because of the hobby only distribution and a design that blended a holographic foil background and the increasingly popular acetate technology. The added knowledge of a Woodredemption card made this product impossible to find in my area.

So when I found some at my local card shop, I pulled the trigger and picked up a handful of packs. Unfortunately, I completely struck out.

In fact, I'm not even sure how I acquired that redemption card. My guess is that I found it in a 10ยข bin at a card show.

The same thing goes for this card:

It's the card Skybox sent collectors who redeemed their cards. As you can see, it's a pretty awesome looking card. Too bad it's not his rookie card. But it's a cheap, cool card nonetheless.

Thanks for the memories Kerry. I hope you enjoy your retirement. It's pretty cool that you ended your career striking out the final batter you faced.

Happy Friday everyone and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X