Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Love the 80's #11: Topps Mini Leaders

A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon these five wax boxes on Craigslist:

Do you recognize them? If not, they're those over produced, not so pretty, hard to store, close to worthless oddball sets that Topps issued from 1986 to 1990.

But you know me, I can't pass up cheap junk wax. The guy was asking $15 for the lot. I countered with $10 and he accepted. Not bad, right? 180 packs for $10.

It ended up providing me two solid hours of entertainment as I busted packs and built sets, while flipping back and forth between Monday Night Football and the A's/Rangers game.

Here's a look at the five sets I built:

In addition to those, I pulled a ton of extras and even had a bunch of leftover wax packs that I'll either giveaway, post on Listia, or both.

These cards might not be your cup of tea. But I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and show off the Tony Gwynn cards from each of these sets, while giving you a sample of what these cards look like:

1986 Topps Mini Leaders #65 Tony Gwynn

1987 Topps Mini Leaders #35 Tony Gwynn

1988 Topps Mini Leaders #74 Tony Gwynn

1989 Topps Mini Leaders #39 Tony Gwynn

1990 Topps Mini Leaders #80 Tony Gwynn

FYI: They're called Mini Leaders, because they're smaller (2 1/8"x 2 15/16") compared to the standard (2 1/2" x 3 1/2") card size. Here's a look at the two 1990 Topps Gwynns:

Okay... it's your turn.

What do you think about these Topps Mini Leaders? Love 'em? Hate 'em?

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of these back in the 80's. But I had a blast busting these packs and building these sets. And honestly... for the price, I'd do it all over again if the opportunity arises again.

Happy Hump Day!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X