Sometimes, I truly believe things happen for a reason. Maybe it's because the stars are aligned. Or maybe it's because the Cardboard Gods were having a good day. Either way, I finally acquired a vintage Willie Mays card that isn't considered to be poor or damaged.
It all started at the Serramonte Mall Sports Card and Collectibles Show a few weeks ago. I was hanging out with my buddy who was set up as a vendor. Several people kept asking him about his 1966 Topps Willie Mays. Eventually, I decided to check it out for myself.
Beckett has it listed at $250, but my buddy's copy has two creases with rough corners. He was looking to get $85 for it, but nobody was biting. Later that evening, I pulled the card out again and asked him for his best price. He said I could have it for $65. I countered with $50.
We asked another guy and he felt $50 was reasonable based on the poor condition of the card, but he didn't budge.
I decided to check eBay auctions to see what this card was going for and couldn't believe how affordable this card was. Back in November, one of these sold for under $5 and there were several others that sold for under $10. At this point, I shifted gears and focused on finding one on eBay.
That's when I found this card:
It not perfect, but at least it didn't have two creases. And it get's better. The seller had a BIN price of $12.99 (+ $2.50 shipping). I showed it to my buddy and he told me to buy it.
You've gotta love eBay and cell phones! Without them, this Willie wouldn't have ended up in my collection.
Happy Sunday and sayonara!
More...
It all started at the Serramonte Mall Sports Card and Collectibles Show a few weeks ago. I was hanging out with my buddy who was set up as a vendor. Several people kept asking him about his 1966 Topps Willie Mays. Eventually, I decided to check it out for myself.
Beckett has it listed at $250, but my buddy's copy has two creases with rough corners. He was looking to get $85 for it, but nobody was biting. Later that evening, I pulled the card out again and asked him for his best price. He said I could have it for $65. I countered with $50.
We asked another guy and he felt $50 was reasonable based on the poor condition of the card, but he didn't budge.
I decided to check eBay auctions to see what this card was going for and couldn't believe how affordable this card was. Back in November, one of these sold for under $5 and there were several others that sold for under $10. At this point, I shifted gears and focused on finding one on eBay.
That's when I found this card:
It not perfect, but at least it didn't have two creases. And it get's better. The seller had a BIN price of $12.99 (+ $2.50 shipping). I showed it to my buddy and he told me to buy it.
You've gotta love eBay and cell phones! Without them, this Willie wouldn't have ended up in my collection.
Happy Sunday and sayonara!
More...

