Who the heck is Bobby Winkles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the heck is Bobby Winkles?

GCRL recently shipped me a package that included this awesome 1978 Topps card autographed by Bobby Winkles. I love this card! In fact, it's now a permanent fixture of my Oakland Athletics shelf in my office.

However, I've got to admit something. When I pulled this card out of the padded envelope... I had no idea who this guy was. So I decided to "Google" him and discovered a bunch of cool stuff about Mr. Winkles.

#1 He played seven years in the White Sox, Cubs, and Phillies minor league systems.

#2 He was the first varsity baseball coach at Arizona State University, where he won three national titles.

#3Reggie Jackson played for him at ASU.

#4 He's a member of the ABCA Collegiate Baseball Hall of Fame and there's a baseball field named after him at ASU.

#5 In 1978, he led the Oakland A's to a 24-15 (first place) start before resigning because he grew tired of owner Charlie Finley. The A's finished the season in sixth place, 24 gamesunder .500.

Okay... now that I've introduced you to Mr. Winkles, let's take a look at the rest of the cards GCRL sent me:

I left a comment on one of GCRL's posts stating how awesome this card is... and voila... it's now in my collection. He also sent me this nice Campy from the same 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes set:

And if that wasn't enough, he also donated these awesome A's cards:

Thanks GCRL! The cards are awesome. I'm forever thankful that it led me to research and learn about the great Bobby Winkles.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

He was a gr8 coach at ASU. Went to a kids camp and it was amazing listening to him talk and some of the players.
    http://photobucket.com/tndcollectables

* US Army 1985-93 DAV *

My name is Tom, I use dc, padded envelope please do the same. I trade by bk value, not ebay sell value.

I COLLECT TOPPS BASEBALL, SOME VIKINGS AND ANYTHING NEEDED FOR MY STORE.

If I have never traded with you I will ask if you ship first.

I ship on Friday and Saturday.

Stained glass on the left we make.

www.tndcollectables.com

Comment

That's pretty cool. The guy must have been pretty special to have a field named after him.

Originally posted by tndcollectables View Post
      He was a gr8 coach at ASU. Went to a kids camp and it was amazing listening to him talk and some of the players.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X