Two weekends ago, I attended the Serramonte Sports Cards and Collectibles Show. It's not quite The National Sports Collectors Convention, but it's easily my favorite card show of the year. There are a variety of vendors featuring sports cards, non-sports cards, toys, antiques, artwork, and comic books.
Unfortunately, after dropping $143 during my last two trips to the flea market... my hobby budget was completely tapped out.
My solution? Tap into July's budget. Let's check out the damage:
Purchase #1:Autographs & Memorabilia Cards$20
I'm a huge fan of digging through dealer's bargain bins. One gentleman had $2 relics and autographs, but if you bought ten, you received two more for free. As soon as I pulled the Jose Canseco, Randy White, Nat Moore, and the pair of surfers... I was on the hook. It took me almost 30 minutes to finalize my final seven picks.
Purchase #2: 1999 Salvino/Team Best Wax Box $5
I'm always looking for cheap wax to bust... especially when it features oddball stuff like Salvino's Bammers. Not my finest purchase... but I can't wait to kill 20 minutes in front of the television and bust this.
Purchase #3: Autographed Comics $8


Ironman #300 signed by Tom Morgan
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #63 signed by Scott Hanna, Barry Kitson, and Dennis O'Neal
Last November, I picked up nine autographed comics at the De Anza Flea Market for $25. The same guy was set up at the show, so I picked up two more. This time, I had to pay a little more for them.
Purchase #4: More Memorabilia Cards $8
The same guy with the comic books also had sports cards. I know memorabilia cards have lost their luster over the years, but it's hard to walk away from them when they're 40ยข each.
Purchase #5: Vintage A's Memorabilia $27
Purchase #6: Hideki Okajima Autographed 8x10 $7

I know several people who go out and obtain in-person autographs for a living. One of them recently hit up the Sacramento River Cats and was lucky enough to grab this Japanese guy's autograph.
I was hoping for a Hiroyuki Nakajima autograph for my collection... but I have no problem settling for an Okajima.
Freebies #1: 1988 Tony Gwynn Kenner SLU
I've been collecting Kenner SLU's the past two decades and Tony Gwynn has been my favorite player for longer than that. But ironically, I've never owned his rookie piece. Until now. My buddy recently purchased a huge toy collection that contained this figure and generously donated it to my collection. Thanks Mike!
Freebies #2: Jeffrey Leonard and Lloyd Moseby Autographed 8x10's


Each vendor received a coupon that could be redeemed for a free autograph. Mike gave me his, so I picked out the Jeffrey Leonard photo. Then another one of my friends threw down another coupon (thanks Dave!), so I grabbed the Lloyd Moseby. Neither of these guys will end up in Cooperstown, but they weren't exactly scrubs either.
Overall... I spent a bunch of money that I shouldn't have, which means that July will be a slow month for me. But that's okay... at least I'm walking away with a box of Salvino's Bammers.
Happy Monday and sayonara!
More...
Unfortunately, after dropping $143 during my last two trips to the flea market... my hobby budget was completely tapped out.
My solution? Tap into July's budget. Let's check out the damage:
Purchase #1:Autographs & Memorabilia Cards$20
I'm a huge fan of digging through dealer's bargain bins. One gentleman had $2 relics and autographs, but if you bought ten, you received two more for free. As soon as I pulled the Jose Canseco, Randy White, Nat Moore, and the pair of surfers... I was on the hook. It took me almost 30 minutes to finalize my final seven picks.
I'm always looking for cheap wax to bust... especially when it features oddball stuff like Salvino's Bammers. Not my finest purchase... but I can't wait to kill 20 minutes in front of the television and bust this.
Purchase #3: Autographed Comics $8


Ironman #300 signed by Tom Morgan
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #63 signed by Scott Hanna, Barry Kitson, and Dennis O'Neal
Purchase #4: More Memorabilia Cards $8
The same guy with the comic books also had sports cards. I know memorabilia cards have lost their luster over the years, but it's hard to walk away from them when they're 40ยข each.
Purchase #5: Vintage A's Memorabilia $27
1971 Oakland A's Scorecard
1972 Oakland A's Yearbook/Scorecard

1973 Oakland A's Yearbook/Scorecard
1981 Billy Ball Poster
1972 Oakland A's Yearbook/Scorecard

1973 Oakland A's Yearbook/Scorecard
1981 Billy Ball Poster
I've been emailing back and for with one of my readers, who mentioned that he had some A's memorabilia I'd be interested in. And he was 100% correct. I grabbed these vintage A's yearbooks and score cards. But the centerpiece of the purchase was definitely this amazing 1981 Billy Ball Poster/Calendar.
He also threw in these five issues of Topps Magazine:
He also threw in these five issues of Topps Magazine:
Thanks Jim! It was great to finally get a chance to hang out and talk sports cards in person.
Purchase #6: Hideki Okajima Autographed 8x10 $7

I know several people who go out and obtain in-person autographs for a living. One of them recently hit up the Sacramento River Cats and was lucky enough to grab this Japanese guy's autograph.
I was hoping for a Hiroyuki Nakajima autograph for my collection... but I have no problem settling for an Okajima.
I've been collecting Kenner SLU's the past two decades and Tony Gwynn has been my favorite player for longer than that. But ironically, I've never owned his rookie piece. Until now. My buddy recently purchased a huge toy collection that contained this figure and generously donated it to my collection. Thanks Mike!
Freebies #2: Jeffrey Leonard and Lloyd Moseby Autographed 8x10's


Each vendor received a coupon that could be redeemed for a free autograph. Mike gave me his, so I picked out the Jeffrey Leonard photo. Then another one of my friends threw down another coupon (thanks Dave!), so I grabbed the Lloyd Moseby. Neither of these guys will end up in Cooperstown, but they weren't exactly scrubs either.
Overall... I spent a bunch of money that I shouldn't have, which means that July will be a slow month for me. But that's okay... at least I'm walking away with a box of Salvino's Bammers.
Happy Monday and sayonara!
More...









Comment