Flea Market Finds #55: Vintage Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Market Finds #55: Vintage Wax

There are things in our world that simply defy logic. The Capitol Flea Market on Thursdays is one of those things. I just don't understand how they can attract so many vendors and customers during the middle of the week.

Aren't people suppose to be at work?

This past Thursday I went and spent ten minutes looking for parking and ended up at the furthest end of the parking lot. Inside... the place was packed. There were more people walking around than your typical Saturday and just about on par with Sundays. Best of all... there were only a handful of empty spots, so the reduced price of admission gave you more bang for your buck.

And since there were more vendors, that meant there were more opportunities to find hidden treasures. Right? Wrong.

There were a few guys with sports memorabilia, but nothing spectacular. In fact, I only made one purchase.

When: Thursday, February 20th
    Where: Capitol Flea Market
    What: Two Packs of Baseball Cards
    How Much?: $1

Purchase #1: 1983 Fleer Wax Packs$1

A guy had a box with a bunch of wax packsfrom the 80's and 90's. Buried under mounds of 1988 Topps and 1991 Fleer were a pair of 1983 Fleerpacks. I asked him how much he wanted for the packs and he said a dollar each. Considering the fact that any of the key rookie cards in this set can be purchased these days for a few bucks, I set them back down in the box.

As I began to walk away, he asked me... how much you want to pay?

I offered him a dollar for the pair and he accepted. Each pack contains 15 baseball cards and one team sticker.

Here's a look at what I pulled:

Pack #1

TwoBobs, twoJeffs, two Mikes, twoJohns, and one hall of famer.

Pack #2

TwoBraves, twoCubs, twoJays, and the All-Time Hit King.

Outside of adding the Eddie Murray and Pete Rose to my binders, there wasn't anything too special in either of the packs. However the experience of busting thirty year old wax was well worth the money.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X