Taking Advantage of a Buyer's Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Advantage of a Buyer's Market

Yesterday, I read several posts about Kirby Puckett'sbirthday and figured it was a good time to share this:

1984 Fleer Update #93

It's one of those cards that I've wanted for many, many years, but never thought I'd actually own. But thanks to a soft market, this card doesn't have the same following it had in the late 80's and early 90's. During that era, the 1984 Fleer Updateset was one of the most sought after sets in the hobby. In fact it was so popular, the bad guys counterfeited key singles, including the Puckett.

That's why I decided to spend a few extra dollars on a graded copy back in January. An eBayseller had it listed for $105 BIN (or best offer), so I sent him an offer of $80 (+ $5 shipping) and was pumped when he accepted.

Puckett was short and stocky, but could hit for average, was fairly quick, and had a solid glove. In other words, he was the major league version of me. Okay... maybe I should rephrase that. When I played baseball, those were my strengths... which is why I value players with those particular traits.

Happy belated birthdayKirby! You were always one of my favorite players... despite not wearing an A's or Padresjersey. The baseball world misses you.

Everyone else... happy Saturday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X