The Craziest Trade of My Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Craziest Trade of My Life

On Friday, I was involved in the craziest cardboard transaction of my life. It all went down at the 8th Annual GTSM Bay Area Autograph Experience which happens to double as a sports card show.

My buddy who sold me those IP/TTM autographs last month told me he found another binder of autographs and brought it with him to the show for me to check out. This time he had a bunch of California Angelsautographs as well as some random vintage cards and some memorabilia cards.

He wanted $60 for the binder, but I only wanted to pay $40 (only brought $50 to the show). He ended up taking out the pages with memorabilia cards and the deal was made.

That's when the insanity ensued. Within thirty seconds of my purchase another one of our friends came up to check out what I had bought. He immediately wanted to take the binder off of my hands. I told him that there were a few cards I really wanted, but he could have it for the price I paid if he threw in a set I was interested in from his table.

He agreed, so I pulled these cards out of the binder:

The main card I was interested in was the 1975 Kellogg's Nolan Ryan. This card is so awesome! I also really like the look of the Frank Robinsonautograph too.

Here's the sealed set I wanted from my buddy's table:

1992 St. Vincent Hall of Fame Heroes Stamps Set

As I began putting my new acquisitions into toploaders, he turned around and began showing off the binder to a few people and within minutes he had sold it to someone else for $85.

Three transactions involving four guys within a five minute period. I had never seen anything like it. Best of all... everyone walked away with a smile on their face and a nice cardboard story for their grandchildren.

I'll post the rest of the card show pickups in my next post , plus a pair of flea market recaps later in the week.

In the meantime...

What are some of your craziest cardboard trades?

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X