Cheap Cool Cards #26: Fleer Super Star Special Subsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Cool Cards #26: Fleer Super Star Special Subsets

What I'm about to show you is a part of my childhood that I'd like to share with my friends and fellow collectors.

Before I started busting packs in hopes of finding rookie cards, memorabilia cards, inserts, parallels, and autographs... my quest was simple. I wanted to pull cards of players I knew and cards that were a little out of the ordinary.

That's why I instantly fell in love with Fleer's Super Star Specialsubsets... especially the cards that doubled as puzzle pieces.

The concept was simple... you take "speed" and combine it with "power"... and you get:

As far as I know... the first of these unique subset cards appeared in their 1983 set. Along with Ricky and Reggie, Fleer also included Bud Black and Vida Blue:

Put them together and you get...

Black and blue.

The following year, they added three more pairs of "puzzle cards" to their set. The first one paired up two of the top hitters in the American League...

A pair of Montreal Expos...

And a pair of all-star middle infielders...

Unfortunately... all good things must come to an end. 1985 would mark the final year (at least I think this was the last year) that Fleer would create these special "puzzle cards".

They decided to go north of the border again. This time they paired up two of Toronto's best power hitters:

Ironically they left out George Bell who led the Blue Jays with 26 home runs in 1984.

And rounding out this post is the creativeHolland Tunnell:

Get it? Holland Tunnel. Now that's what I call nifty. These cards look absolutely amazing sitting next to each other in 9-pocket pages. And best of all... they're super affordable.

I purchased all of these cards (except the Black and Blue which I picked up at the flea market last year) for $2.16 (+ shipping) off of Sportlots. If you're ever in the situation where you need to add a few cheap cards to justify the shipping fees on that site, then you might want to consider these.

They're cheap. They're cool. They're cheap, cool cards.

By the way... if you happen to know of anymore of these "puzzle" subset cards, please let me know.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

Extra Edition!

Attention anyone who I've traded with in the past or anyone who has generously shipped a care package in my direction. My mailing address has changed. Please email me if you'd like my new mailing address. Thank you and have a great day.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X