I Love the Minors!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Love the Minors!!

Earlier this season, I made a post about an outstanding experience that me, my son, and his best friend had at a Fresno Grizzlies game. The stadium is only about 20 minutes away and it is very accessible. Since my first post, we have been to roughly 6 games and I have learned to appreciate the minors for who they are; a group of hopefuls that appreciate the game of baseball and the fans that support them. Before this season, I was never really a fan of the minors but have come to enjoy the atmosphere and attitude of the game at that level. At the last home stand, I caught my first foul ball which is something my son has been wanting to happen at every game. I have also found players from both teams are friendly for the most part and don't mind chatting for a second. Here are some pics from this season so far and I hope everyone has a great summer!!

Chukchansi Park

Franklin Stubbs auto

Phil Nevin auto

Joe Panik auto

The Foul Ball (Pitcher-Edwin Escobar/Fresno--Batter-Johnny Giavotella/Omaha)

Grizzlies OF Chris Dominguez

The boys and their autographs

Grizzlies C Tyler LeTorre with my son Marcus(left) and his best friend

Grizzlies OF Gary Brown with Marcus, his best friend, and his cousin

Last edited by Murphy03; 06-25-2014, 04:32 PM.

I go to this park several times a season. It's a really nice stadium except for the Fresno heat during the summer.
    --Jeff

Comment

FRANKLIN STUBBS!!!
      Anyway I have also found that the Minor League venues ARE ALL THAT! I am glad your experience was the rule rather than the exception.

I live in Richmond VA and was disappointed when the Braves pulled there AAA team out. We now have the Richmond Flying Squirrels! the AA affiliate of the SF Giants! and their fan support is even better.

Minor league parks have to sell the ballpark experience NOT the specific team...while a team may draw a crowd they may pull out the next season and be replaced by another franchise. The parks are successful because they are giving fans a fun experience.

Anyway - I have met Stubbs once or twice when he was in the Braves organization as a minor league coach. I have on of his jerseys from when he was a Hokie and was able to get it signed when the Braves moved to Disney... Super nice guy.

Le
      -Le - ledizaster@gmail.com
      sigpic
      I collect Former Va Tech Players in all sports.

Football - Antone Exum, Kyle Fuller, Corey Fuller, Logan Thomas, Bruce Smith, Michael Vick, David Wilson, Antonio Freeman, Victor Harris, Brandon Flowers, Eddie Royal etc

Baseball - Mike Williams, Franklin Stubbs, Jesse Hahn, Joe Saunders, Brad Clontz, Kevin Barker, Wyatt Toregas - Major or Minor Leaguers!

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/87hokie/library/

Comment

I too had a huge love for minor league baseball (still do, just dont get to see it anymore). We had the Sidewinder's (Diamondbacks AAA team) here in Tucson for the majority of my younger, single days so I was able to attend at LEAST 2-3 games a week!! They've since moved the team to Reno, then MLB spring training moved to the Phoenix area....baseball has pretty much abandoned Tucson!

At least there's always baseball a couple hours away where I can see my Dbacks play still.

Thanks for the pics, brought back some good memories!...looks like the boys had fun too!
        Currently looking for:
        Football: The Gronk!
        Basketball: Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, & Michael Jordan, 90's refractors or #rd stuff, Damon Stoudamire, Penny, etc.
        Baseball: Paul Goldschmidt & Mike Trout
        + HOFer slab bed or raw.

Collecting University of Arizona current and Alum players!!!
        Go Cats!!!

Trade page:
        http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/deannal_2008/

Comment

We have the Augusta Greenjackets (Single A of the Giants). I saw Chris Dominguez a few years ago. He was our stud about 2 years ago. You want to talk about long shots, the single A guys are even MORE of a long shot.
          Favorite baseball players include: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Tyler Colvin Mark Appel
          Favorite football players include: Peyton Manning, John Elway, Daunte Culpepper, Mike Alstott, Blake Bortles, and Dri Archer
          Collecting: 2012 Topps Mini 1987 topps... non-certified autos (in person or through the mail), autographed cards with bible verses

Comment

We are pretty fortunate in New England honestly.

In Manchester we have the Fishercats. AA for the Blue Jays.
            In Lowell, MA, we have the Spinners. A for the Red Sox.
            In Portland ME, we have the Seadogs. AA for the Red Sox. They are stacked with good young prospects.
            In Pawtucket, RI, we have the Red Sox. AAA for the Red Sox.

So, there is a lot of pretty close Minor League baseball in the area. Hard for an adult male to get much in terms of Autos though. They all think that we are out to make money on the autos. But, the experience is the best.

Collecting any Boston Sports (base,insert,GU,Auto) All Teams (Red Sox,Celtics,Patriots,Bruins)
            Also collect UNH Football/Hockey cards
            Also now collecting any cards including all dupes of all the following :
            MLB : Brian Wilson (Giants, Dodgers), Chris Carpenter (Blue Jays, Cardinals), Sam Fuld (Rays), Mike Flanagan (Orioles, Blue Jays), Phil Plantier (Padres, Red Sox), Jeff Locke (Pirates)
            NFL : Kendall Reyes (Chargers), Greg Landry (Lions), David Ball (Bears), Jerry Azumah (Bears), Dwayne Sabb (Patriots), Dan Kreider (Steelers), Ricky Santos (no pro cards)
            NBA : Matt Bonner (Spurs)
            NHL : Steve Leach, James VanRiemsDyk, Jason Krog, Eric Boguniecki, Andy Brickley, Ty Conklin, Kevin Dean, Rod Langway, Bryan Muir, Daniel Winnik
            I unfortunately can no longer afford to trade outside the US. Even rates to Canada are way too high now!

Comment

Working...
            X