The Box That Broke My Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Box That Broke My Heart

Just like sports cards themselves... sports card memories are not always created equally. Some simply stand out better than others. Usually they're positive memories like the day I purchased my 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson or the time I pulled a Walter Peytonautograph out of a pack of 1999 Upper Deck Retro.

However today's post revolves around a not so pleasant memory that lingers in the back of my mind... especially when I'm busting a box around friends.

Back in the mid 90's, I had reentered the hobby for the umpteenth time and I was fascinated by Upper Deck and their holograms. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a few packs of their all-new all-hologram product called SPx. Now for those of you who weren't collecting back then, SPx wasn't cheap. Packs contained one card... yes ONE CARD... and ran anywhere from $4 to $5 per pack.

At the time I was just wrapping up my credential program, so I was on a pretty tight budget... especially in terms of collecting cards. But I saved up my money and split a box with the owner of my favorite LCS (C&M Cards).

We took turns pulling packs from the box and when we were finished I had a stack with a few decent names and one or two gold parallels.

But there's one reason this particular box break will always stay fresh in my mind and it looks like this:

1996 SPx #KG1

It's the special Ken Griffey Jr. Commemorative insert that was inserted into one out of every 75 packs. At the time it was one of the nicest cards in the product outside of the impossible to pull autographs.

Sadly, I wasn't the guy who pulled it. Nope... I was the guy who stood there and watched Cliff pull it.

Being the gracious guy that he was... he offered it to me, but I had just blown my monthly cardboard allowance on the twelve other packs. So he turned around and sold it to one of the customers in the shop watching our box break.

It was a combination of feeling disappointed, jealous, and sad all at the same time. I wish I could say that I was happy for my friend and the guy who bought the Griffey, but I honestly felt sick to my stomach.

Since then, I haven't been a big fan of splitting boxes with people. It's probably why I'm not a huge fan of group breaks either.

The good news is I eventually picked up this card eighteen years later for 66ยข on COMC. That's about 98% less than what the guy spent that day in the card shop back in 1996.

1996 SPx #MP1

Upper Deck also produced a special Mike Piazza Tribute card that was inserted into one out of every 95 packs. Due to the tough odds and the fact that he was a beast, these too became rather pricey back in the day.

But like most cards from the 90's, these inserts' market value have dropped tremendously over the years. These days you can pick up both of these cards on COMC for less than $1.25.

I know that holograms aren't for everyone... but if you're a fan like me, then I'm guessing you'll appreciate these two pieces of extra thick die-cut cardboard.

Okay... you know the routine...

Were you a fan of SPx back in the day?

Do you have any interesting stories involving you splitting a box with a friend?

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X