Saturday Night Five: Proud to be an American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Night Five: Proud to be an American

Two hundred thirty-nine years ago, the United States formally declared their independence from Great Britain and that's why we celebrate the 4th of July each year with baseball, barbecues, and fireworks.

Unfortunately, I messed up my back, so I won't be attending any games, watching any fireworks, and probably won't be barbecuing.

However... I do want to celebrate this special occasion, so I figured I'd show off some of my favorite Team USA collectibles.

#1: 2010 Marvel Heroes and Villians Sketch Card #NNO Captain America

Team USA: 1941 to Present

Is there anything out there more patriotic than Captain America? I'm a huge fan of sketch cards and I immediately jumped at the chance to purchase this one of a kind masterpiece on COMC for $12.25.

#2: 2008 Donruss Americana Sports Legends Memorabilia #23 Bruce Jenner

Team USA: 1976 Olympics

Bruce. Caitlyn. 1976 Olympicgold medalist.

#3: 1985 Topps #401 Mark McGwire

Team USA: 1984

It's hard to believe that collectors have been pulling this iconic rookie card out of packs for the past three decades. Three decades. Time sure flies by.

#4: 2003-04 Fleer Avant Stars and Stripes Jersey #TD Tim Duncan

Team USA: 2004 Olympics

I've always admired Tim Duncan and the way he approached the game. In a sport that is defined by showboating and flashiness... he's humbly won five NBA titles, threeNBA Finals MVP Awards, twoNBA MVP Awards, an NBA All-Star Game MVP Award, and just about every other award imaginable. Unfortunately a knee injury kept him from winning a gold medal with Team USA in 2000, but he did help the United States win a bronze in 2004.

#5: Mike Eruzione Autographed Puck

Team USA: 1980 Olympics

The United States shocked the world in 1980 by beating the Soviet Union... and the event instantly became one of the greatest team sports moments in U.S. Olympichistory. Two days later, they would bring home the gold with a win against Finland.

Honorable Mention #1: 2004 Upper Deck USA Baseball Autograph #MAU Joe Mauer

Team USA: 2013 World Baseball Classic

Honorable Mention #2: 2012 Goodwin Champions Memorabilia #BL Brian Leetch

Team USA: 1988, 1998, and 2002 Olympics

Honorable Mention #3: 2013 Goodwin Champions Autograph #EW Eric Wynalda

Team USA: 1990, 1994, and 1998 World Cup

Honorable Mention #4: Brandi Chastain Autographed Soccer Ball (Steiner COA)

Team USA: 1991 and 1999 World Cup

Honorable Mention #5:
    2009 Upper Deck USA Winning Materials #29 Sonny Gray

Team USA: 2009-2010

Happy Birthday America!

Back in 2010, the year I started this blog, I wrote a similar post where I listed some cardboard featuring good old... red, white, and blue. If you're interested in seeing what I posted back then, click here.

Happy 4th of July everyone! Stay safe and enjoy your holiday weekend. Happy Saturday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X