I Miss You...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Miss You...

Sometimes I'll play music for my classes if they're working on projects and are on task. Monday we were listening to some 90's and 2000's alternative rock, when this Blink-182song came on:

I'll often use songs to stir up conversations with my students and this one wasn't any different. I asked them things they missed and received a bunch of random responses ranging from places to people.

Anyways... it made me start thinking about things I miss in terms of sports and our hobby. Here's what came to mind...

#1: Topps Gallery

To be more specific... the "painted" sets. I really the combination of "art" and "sports cards", which is probably why the 1956 Toppsset is my favorite of all-time.

#2: Montreal Expos

I guess the 80's glam rock band, Cinderella were correct. You don't know what you've got... 'til it's gone, because my appreciation for the Montreal Expos continues to grow. They have a great franchise history, a sweet looking logo, and they represent the bleu, blanc, et rouge better than any franchise out there.

#3: The Sporting News

The Sporting News is one of the greatest sports magazines of all-time. They had everything I have ever wanted in my bathroom reading material: lists, charts, graphs, statistics, photographs, and excellent articles.

#4: Upper Deck Masterpieces

This was Upper Deck'sversion of Topps Gallery... and it definitely didn't disappoint with their beautiful artwork, on-card autographs, and framed parallels. I just wish Major League Baseball would hurry up and give Upper Deck their license back, so they could start producing this product again.

#5: Stirrups

In many aspects... my childhood and baseball can be summarized by one word: stirrups. When I played Little League, I loved wearing and showing them off. Whoever decided to start covering them up by pulling their pants down to their cleats sort of killed a tiny piece of the sport for me.

#6: Multisport Athletes

There aren't a lot of benefits in terms of being a collector during the Junk Wax Era. Many of us essentially threw our money away buying overproduced sports cards in hopes of an early retirement. With that being said... at least we had the opportunity to watch guys like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Michael Jordan play two sports.

Well that's all I have for now. I'm sure a few more items will pop into my head. Until then...

In terms of our hobby and/or sports, what do you miss?

By the way... while writing this post it occurred to me that another blogger already writes about the same thing on his blog: Sports Card Collectors. Hopefully he's okay with me borrowing his idea. You know what they say... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X