Costco and The Junk Wax Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco and The Junk Wax Era

Life was so much simpler when I was a kid. Back then I collected because I enjoyed sorting my cards into different categories and every now and then discovering a card with a funny photo or a great lookingaction shot.

However everything changed in 1987. That's the year that the Costco in my neighborhood started carrying baseball cards and I morphed from a collector into an investor.

Up until that point, I primarily had built my collection from busting packs every now and then. But that year I begged my mom into loaning me some money, so I could buy a bunch of boxes of 1987 Toppsbaseball. I sat there for hours on the living room floor ripping into the boxes and sorting the cards into sets and player lots.

I thought that one day that investment would pay off and make me rich. Unfortunately... so did millions of other collectors. I personally believe that Costco and Price Club commenced The Junk Wax Era... essentially changing the way I collect entirely. Whether or not that's a good thing is still being determined.

But today's post isn't really about Costco or The Junk Wax Era. It was just an excuse to show of some of my favorite cards from one of my favorite sets of the decade.

You might not remember... but back in 2013, I actually ranked the 80's Toppsbaseball card designs and considered these to be one of the decade's worst.

I think the sheer number of packs that I busted left a sour taste in my mouth and created decades worth of disdain for this card design. But time heals all wounds.

Today... it's my second favorite... right behind the 1983set. Once upon a time, I though the wood-grain borders were obnoxious and over the top. However... I've switched gears and now embrace the design feature most associated with this set. I also like the inclusion of the team's logo and the decision to use the team's colors in the rectangular box that houses the player's name.

What about you...

Did you buy cards at Costco in the 80's? What are you thoughts on the 80's version of Cardboard Woodies?

Looking forward to reading your responses. I hope you all have a great week. Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X