Saturday Night Five: Hobby Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday Night Five: Hobby Resolutions

2016 has arrived and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I've been collecting baseball cards off and on for over three decades. I've mentioned in prior posts about the quandary I'm in based on which direction I want to go in terms of collecting. I keep looking towards the future and wondering... do I really want to be 70 years old with thousands of baseball cards that may or may not be worth a fraction of the price I spent accumulating them?

When I reentered the hobby back in 2008, I pretty much accepted the fact that I wasn't ever going to make a profit off of sport cards. Yet I continued to gather cards whenever I found a good deal... regardless of whether or not it fit my personal collection.

Well... in 2016 ...hopefully that's going to change. In fact, after reading a bunch of your hobby resolutions and contemplating my own... I've decided to end the two year drought and create a list of things I'd like to accomplish by this time next year.

#1: Create a Monthly Hobby Budget and Adhere to It

Each year I have a standing bet with my best friend's husband. It's fairly simple: his Detroit Lions vs. my Green Bay Packers. Whichever team has the better record wins. I've already locked up the win and in a few weeks, I'll be receiving $200... which I'm going to use to kick off this year's hobby budget. In addition to this, I'm going to give myself $75 to spend each month. Whatever isn't spent will carry over to the following month. In addition to this... there will be an incentive to exercise. Every week I walk 50,000 steps or more, I will add $5 to my monthly budget. I definitely plan on documenting all of my expenses this year to see how much I truly dump into this hobby.

#2: Purchase Five 1956 Topps Hall of Famers

As of right now, I have no intention of building this set. However my Jackie Robinson is lonely and needs some of his cardboard brethren to keep him company. I've already started targeting some reasonably priced hall of famers in this set.

#3: Resurrect my Annual Summer Contest

It's been a few years since I've held this contest, so I guess it's technically no longer an "annual" contest. However... I really enjoyed hosting this and seeing the interaction among us. I have plenty of prizes that are ready to go. Now I just need to get off my butt and organize it.

#4: Pick Up One of These Topps Sets: 1973, 1974, or 1977

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to own every flagship Topps baseball card set from 1972 to 1986... which represent my childhood years. I'm down to needing only these three. The 1977set sometimes sells for under $100, so that's probably the most realistic set to target.

#5: Have Fun, Continue Blogging, and Read More Blogs

There are a variety of reasons for me to stay in this hobby. I love sports. I find it soothing to flip through cards. Plus... I love reading your blogs and discussing trading cards with all of you. Bottom line... it's entertaining and fun. Hopefully this trend continues into 2016.

What about you...

Do you have any hobby resolutions for 2016?

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X