Admiring Greatness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admiring Greatness

There have been plenty of times in my life when I have focused on the negative rather than appreciate the positive aspect on things. The perfect example is sports.

I've never been a fan of the New York Yankees. It has to do with their multiple dynasties and of course growing up around people who have no problem with reminding you of their success. But no matter how much I dislike the franchise, I can't help but admire some of the guys who have donned Yankee Pinstripes.

When I was a kid, I saw Pride of the Yankees and couldn't help but admire The Iron Horse:

The movie portrayed him as an honorable and humble guy. The kind of guy you'd want your sister or daughter to meet. The fact that he's one of the greatest baseball players of all-time is the icing on the cake.

Another Yankee I can't help but admire is The Captain:

Twenty years ago, you'd have to pay me money to say anything nice about Jeter. I couldn't stand watching him and the YankeeswinWorld Series after World Series after World Series. But by the tail end of his career, I couldn't help but admire his loyalty to the franchise that drafted him.

Plus... while my father gets to reminisce about seeing Bart Starr play, one day I'll sit back and reminisce about seeing Derek Jeter play.

Anyone else up for Tony's 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge? If so...

Who is a baseball player that you appreciate, but don't like?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X