I've finally caught my white whale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've finally caught my white whale!

In my 3rd post, I talked about the J.J. Hickson autograph out of the 2008/09 Topps Signature set. The Hickson is the lowest #'d card in the set. There are only 125 copies of his autographed card and I have been trying to pick up this card ever since I started building this set over 18 months ago. Unfortunately, every time I found one the person had just traded it away or they outbid me at the last second.

Well when I saw the card on eBay a few weeks ago, I put in an insane bid and won. I was so excited when the card finally arrived. I quickly drove over to my buddy's storage unit and dug through my stuff for 5 minutes until I found the set. After I added the card, I quickly flipped through the set when I realized a problem. Where was my Shaquille O'neal autograph? I remembered that it wasn't on the original checklist, but he had a regular base card and the parallels to go with it. Did he have a signed version or did Topps take him out of the autograph set?

So I headed back home, checked eBay, and sure enough I discovered that he had signed 825 cards. I immediately put in another insane price into my sniper program and a couple of days later I won the autograph. Now the waiting game began. I waited several days until it finally arrived this weekend.

My 2008/09 Topps Signature autographed set is finally complete. Thank goodness... I was beginning to think I'd never finish that set.

Okay... so here's your question of the day: Do you have a white whale? If so, what is it and how long have you been looking for it?

By the way... thanks to everyone who responded to yesterday's question. I'm no longer accepting responses to that question, however I'll still accept people's links if they're plugging my contest (which will earn you 5 additional points)

Here's a current point breakdown:

dkwilson - 6 points
    Tony MC - 6 points
    BA Benny - 6 points
    Cam - 6 points
    82Redbirds - 6 points
    Hoopography - 6 points
    Spastikmooss - 6 points
    TJ - 2 points
    John - 1 point
    night owl - 1 point
    Sal - 1 point
    Steve D - 1 point
    Captain Canuck - 1 point
    (...Joe) - 1 point
    Play at the Plate - 1 point

I added up the points late last night. If you happen to see any errors in the scoring, please let me know and I'll update the totals.

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Congrats on getting the Hickson and Shaq and on completing your set!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Thanks you guys! It's a relief... I'm glad to be finished with it.
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Congrats on completion!! I attempted the set myself, but after compiling about 36 of the autos, I gave up due to the Hickson and Alexander lol.
          "The good kid from the mad city, holding a cereal box instead of a glock"

Bucket (Not Updated)|Set Needs

Comment

Working...
          X