It's all about the Benjamins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's all about the Benjamins...

My sports card collecting philosophy is like a Lady Gaga's wardrobe... it's always changing.

I started off collecting for fun when I was a kid. When I hit middle school, I started buying as many cards as I could get my hands on in hopes of one day paying for college.

Eventually, I figured out that base cards weren't the way to go, so I switched over to collecting rookie cards. A few years later, companies began putting inserts and parallels into packs... so I began chasing those instead. In college, I was introduced to autographs and memorabilia cards.

After I started teaching and living on my own, I realized how much money I had wasted in the hobby... so I decided to cut my losses and pay off my debt. I sold the majority of my collection and figured I was finished with the hobby.

Fast forward six or seven years... when I noticed two students trading cards at recess... and in a blink of an eye... I was back into the hobby. This time with a whole new philosophy.

I was just going to collect a couple of things: autographs and memorabilia cards of certain players and teams. And most importantly... I decided this time around, I was going to do it for fun... not as an investment.

Well... I actually stuck with this philosophy for several years... until a few months ago. That's when I picked up a few cards for a set and realized I didn't need them.

So I turned around and was able to sell most of them for a small profit. At this point, nothing had really changed... I still had little interest in selling cards.

Recently, a dealer on COMC dumped a bunch of his PSA graded cards at insane prices, so I decided to purchase a few that I liked.

Last night, I finally sold two of them.

The best part about it is... it was a win/win situation for both me and the buyer. They picked up a 1992-93 Ultra PSA 10 rookie card and a 1992-93 Hoops PSA 10 rookie card for $10 each. One of the Ultra rookie cards recently sold on eBay for $20 (free shipping), while the Hoops rookie card closed for $9.99 (+ $2.50 shipping)... which means the buyer saved over $10... while I made $13.28 in profit.

By the way... if anyone else is interested in picking up PSA 10 graded copies of Shaq rookies, I still have eleven more Ultra's and eight more Hoop's for sale.

I'm asking $15 each, but will accept offers of $12 on the Ultra rookie and $9 for the Hoops rookie... or I'll sell one of each for $20.

As I'm typing out this post... I just realized I'm like a shark who smells blood in the water. I've gotten a taste of money and I like it. But don't worry... I have no intentions of falling back into old habits.

These Shaqs were too good of a deal to pass up... and it's hard to turn away free money. As soon as COMC has a shipping special, I'll take them down... have them shipped to me... and my sports card collecting philosophy will return to the way it was... collecting for pure entertainment purposes.

Lol... until Shaq is inducted into the HOF... then I'll throw all of these onto eBay.

What about you...

Have you ever collected cards as an investment?

What the most profit you've made off of a card?

By the way... I apologize for the lack of posts. The past few days have been crazy. It's the start of the school year... plus I've been spending a ton of time sorting through a huge sports card pickup I made on Craigslist. I'll write about it in my next post. Stay tuned.

Happy Friday everyone. Sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Just wanted to say I love your blogs. Keep up the awesome job.

Collecting Ken Dilger, Indiana Hoosiers autos, and Indianapolis Colts Rookies
    Colts Rookie Collection: 408 Different Players
    Ken Dilger Collection: 261/445 (58.6%)

Tradelist
    Colts Rookie Collection
    Ken Dilger Collection

Comment

Originally posted by gasmaster02 View Post
      Just wanted to say I love your blogs. Keep up the awesome job.
      I completely agree. Great reading every time.
      TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
      A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

gasmaster02 & Brads55 - thanks for supporting the blog! I'll keep posting, if you guys keep reading!
        Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X