PC Addition - Sports Card Bust #22: Heath Shuler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Addition - Sports Card Bust #22: Heath Shuler

When it comes to football, I'm a huge Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks fan. Yes, I know that both of them are in the NFC, but there once was a time when the Seahawks were in the AFC West... so it worked out perfectly... one NFC team... one AFC team.

Anyways... let me get to my point. As a Packer fan from the 80's to present, the first person who pops into my head is Tony Mandarich. Two years earlier, the Hawks drafted Brian Bosworth.

The fact is every team has drafted someone that they've regretted.

Well when it comes to the Redskins, I can't think of a bigger draft bust than Heath Shuler. In 1993, Shuler was runner-up to Charlie Ward in Heisman Trophy voting. Scouts loved his game at the University of Tennessee and the Redskins were coming off a disappointing 4-12 season, just two years after winning the Super Bowl. So the Redskins released 1991 Super Bowl MVP Mark Rypien and drafted two quarterbacks: Gus Frerotte and Mr. Shuler. Neither would lead the Redskins back to the playoffs.

However, Frerotte had a decent career. He played for 14 seasons on 7 different teams and even made the Pro Bowl once in 1996.

Unfortunately, Shuler's career was quite the opposite. He started 13 games in his 1st two seasons as a Redskin. But after he was benched in 1996, he became expendable and was traded to the Saints for some draft picks. There, he would start 9 games until he suffered a foot injury that eventually ended his career.

His career stats included: 22 games started, an 8-14 record, 49.2% pass completion, 15 career TDs, 33 career interceptions, and a 54.3 QB rating.

On the flipside... there was a bright light at the end of the tunnel for Mr. Shuler. In 2007 (2006 election), ten years after his last NFL game, he became a member of the U.S. House of Representatives. He was successfully re-elected and is still a member of congress to this day.

Who knows... maybe one day he'll be our next President. I wonder what this autograph will be worth then?

So, congratulations goes out to 82Redbirds for correctly picking Shuler (John... so close). He's received 3 points. Everyone else earned 1 point.

Here's the updated point total:

82Redbirds - 11 points
    G Moses - 10 points
    TJ - 9 points
    Tony MC - 9 points
    Spastikmooss - 9 points

Hoopography - 8 points
    BA Benny - 8 points
    Cam - 8 points
    dkwilson - 7 points
    Play at the Plate - 6 points
    Sal - 4 points
    Steve D - 4 points
    John - 3 points
    night owl - 3 points
    Jeremy - 2 points
    Redsox101 - 1 point
    Captain Canuck - 1 point
    (...Joe) - 1 point
    longlivethewho - 1 point
    Martyn - 1 point

Last, but not least... here's your question of the day: What draft pick has been the biggest bust for your favorite team? All sports are welcome!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X