Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Avengers vs The Old Avengers

Love the colors on this one,lol
    Still collecting Frank Thomas in any uni and HoFer G/U & Auto's.

I do not trade nor buy at "eBay values", unless a card is so rare that it is unlisted.

Wow that is a sweet cover. You must have a lot of really good comics. I would have loved to have some of those old school comics in my collection.

Comment

Love the old school comics!!
      I'm easy to trade with.Don't be afraid to make offers.
      I collect Non-Sport cards,Comics,Toys.Cincinnati Reds and anything related to TV Westerns.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z263/toylad/

sigpic

Comment

Definitely the "Vintage" Avengers RULE...

Anything really that was Kirby, Buscema, Adams, etc., and NOT with Don Heck as artist.

I have a run of Avengers starting with # 4 and the return of Captain America on to after the Avengers/Defenders cross over tale. However, I don't have any Giant Size Avengers Annuals. Only Giant Size I have is the last issue of the Skrull/Kree War story line starting with Avengers # 89 I believe, and ending around # 96 or 97. I'd have to dig them out to remember.

However my favorite Avengers, Daredevil (1st appearance as artist), X-Men, Conan, etc, are the Barry Windsor Smith comics...

Neal Adams comes in second as a "vintage" artist favorite, but how can you leave as artist on the last issue of the Skrull/Kree War?!?

I love Smith's art and have a big collection of his stuff. Like Avengers #s 98 - 100...

Last edited by DayGeckoZ; 02-10-2011, 02:05 AM. Reason: Left some info out...

Comment

That cover looks very cool. I really miss the comics of the old days where there were newspaper print.

Comment

Neal Adams will forever be my fave artist.. I loved what he did with the Avengers

Comment

Wow love the look of those comics for sure!
              TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
              A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

What I loved about the old days, was that you could buy comics at drug and grocery stores. I live in a small town, and we had three drug stores and one grocery store that sold comics. I would have to visit each one weekly, because not all carried every comic. But between the four, I was able to find everything I collected.
                Now, to buy comics, I have to drive 90+ miles to the nearest comic book shop. Not worth it to me, especially with Marvel's new story line ideas that you have to buy EVERY comic book they make to keep up with everything going on. Like the Skrull Invasion series or the Open Identity vs Secret Identity series.

I'm a pretty good artist. Won some pencil art contests, and MONEY(!) back in the 1980s at comic shows. Before everything was airbrushed and computerized. I actually won a paid trip to Chicago to visit First Comics, and given a chance to do the art for a story of a charactor they were looking for a new artist for the book. My biggest regret was thinking, they're not Marvel, so why bother? OUCH! Stupid. My biggest compliment was Roy Thomas looking at my pencils at a show, and saying "Wow. I'd hate to be your inker.", then showing him my inked pages, he said, "Wow(again!). You can make a Rapidiograph pen sing like no one I've seen before!" Nothing ever came of it though, as he told me to send copies to him at Marvel, but never heard back.
                Probably the worst thing I saw was a decent artist who obviously had bought the book, "How To Draw The Marvel Way" which everything in it artwise was done in unreproducable blue ink. So the artist was showing Batman art to a DC Editor who praised him up and down about how good he was and he could be with DC in a month as long as he had copies of the artwork to him by the next day for him to take back to NY. His girlfriend was so thrilled for him!
                Only problem was, he had seen the art in How To Draw The Marvel Way and he did it ALL in blue noncopying pencils. I wanted to call out the editor in front of the artist and his girlfriend, who was famous but his name escapes me, but didn't want to ruin the excitement and enjoyment for the artist. I'm sure he ran to Kinko's and found out, his art could not be copied. I can imagine his disappointment. But after they left, I said to the Editor from DC, "You're an AHole for what you did to him." He smiled and said, "If you want to work for DC, don't use a Marvel "How To" book as a guide. We're DC.", which told me he led the artist on and he knew what he was doing when he set that poor guy up. Guess it helps to have worked for newspapers and was taking art, or I might have fallen for the same thing having read that Marvel book..

Anyway, I've often toyed at the idea of pitching to Marvel a "Vintage Avengers" series to bring back the old days when comics were simple, the story lines easy to follow, and fun. Not going to say too much about it, but may do it still. Even if I have to do the pencils, inks, lettering, and of course, the writing myself. In my style, but Kibyesque based on the way the panels were laid out in the early years of comics, and not using some of the techniques they use today to fill up a page. Like one panel of art, exactly the same, they copy and paste to a page seven times, only with different dialogue in each panel. That's easy for an artist to complete a page for their story line, but cheating the buyer in my opinion.
                While I do like some of the Anime type artists out there, just check out say, Avengers #4 - 8. Combining that old panel style, with a few pages of something new in a story line using, well, I won't give it away.
                I just miss the old style of art, where you would have ALL of the Avengers in a 3" X 3" panel. Which seems to be non-existent nowadays...

Sorry for the long rant. If I get a chance, I may scan some of the rare 1960s Avengers comics I have. However, I hate to touch them, LOL...

Comment

Working...
                X