Set Showcase #14: 2008 Popcardz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set Showcase #14: 2008 Popcardz

As the annoying Rebecca Black once said...

It's Friday, Friday... gotta get down on Friday... everybody's looking forward to the weekend.. weekend.

Wow... I can't believe how many little kids actually like this song. I went on YouTube to listen to it, so I could grab the above lyrics... and I couldn't listen to it for more than 30 seconds without clicking "pause" and fast forwarding to the chorus.

I tried to download it for all of you to enjoy this morning... but it disappeared. So maybe today is my lucky day.

Anyways... this post isn't about Rebecca Black. It's about showcasing another set that I have.

It's another one of my non-sports card sets called Popcardz and it featured some of the hottest pop culture stars back in 2008.

I picked up a few blaster boxes of this stuff (for a little over $4/box)... because you were guaranteed a memorabilia card featuring a swatch of clothing worn by a celebrity. There are a total of eight memorabilia cards in the set and you can find full sets of these on eBay for under $40 delivered.

Another thing you'll find in boxes are gold parallels of the base cards. I pulled a few of these, so they are a little more common than the memorabilia cards. From the looks of it... there was a time when you could go to their website and enter a code found on the back of these gold parallels for a chance to win prizes. These days... the only thing I found was a Facebook fan page that nobody bothers to use anymore.

Finally... the base set is made up of forty cards. I was able to build one set... but came up four cards short on a second set. I created a post on Sports Card Forum and was interested in trading for the cards... but just this week I received a package with the four cards I needed from a generous member.

And you know what that means... now I can give a set away to you guys. In addition to a complete set, the winner will also receive an unopened pack of this product.

Here's what the cards looks like:

The card fronts feature a simple design, a close up picture, and the name of the celebrity. While the back contains their birthday, hometown, the charity they support, along with a list of their favorite things.

Since the set is pretty small, I've taken the time to scan all 40 cards.

As you can see more than half of the set is made up of woman and if it were published in 2011... no doubt Ms. Black would be included.

My personal favorites (for obvious reasons) would have to be Hayden Panettiere, Jessica Alba, and Eva Mendes.

Well... there you have it. Here's proof that sometimes I'm a millionaire who likes to throw away money on worthless products... or maybe I'm just a teacher who lacks self control. Either way... at least you have the opportunity to grab this set for free.

On a side note... today I realized for the first time that I've collected non-sports cards longer than I've collected sports cards. My cardboard collecting days began in 1977 when I started busting packs of Topps Star Wars. And now that I think about it... I actually got in on the ground floor... because I distinctly remember owning some of the blue border cards... which were the first series cards. Too bad I didn't save any of those from my childhood.

Today's question of the day:

If you could have dinner with any celebrity from this set, who would it be? Why?

Although it'd be tempting to hang out with any of the three ladies mentioned above, I'd probably end up picking Jon Heder... a.k.a. Napoleon Dynamite. It's one of my favorite movies and I'd love to hang out and talk to him about it.

Bonus question of the day (worth an extra point):

Have you ever collected non-sports cards? If so... which ones?

Well... have a great day everyone... and remember... It's Friday... Friday!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Cool review bro. Nice looking cards!
    TRADING FOR

Ken Griffey Jr.

Raiders and Dolphins from 2012-2020
    A's and Reds from 2012-2020

Comment

Working...
    X