Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanjosefuji
    replied
    Did you bust a box and build the set yourself? It looks like you got 12 of these inserts per 36 pack box... which is why they're pretty cheap.

Originally posted by key2win View Post
    Very nice! I got the whole set when I was younger.

Leave a comment:

• key2win
    replied
    Very nice! I got the whole set when I was younger.

Leave a comment:

• Set Showcase #15: 1994 Marvel Masterpieces Silver Holofoil Insert Set

I caught the Marvel Comics trading card bug, back in 1990... when Impel released their Marvel Universe set. It was a well designed set, that featured cards of all of my favorite comic book characters: Spider-Man, Punisher, Wolverine, and of course the sweet looking Venom. But if you collected back then... you know it wasn't the set that everyone wanted... it was the so called rare holograms that were inserted into packs at a rate of 1:36 packs.

It was the beginning of the insert craze and prices of these holograms were getting ridiculous. They were so insane, that it eventually drove me out of the comic card hobby. Which is why, I completely missed out on collecting the 1994 Marvel Masterpiece set.

Then last month, I stumbled across a complete set of the Silver Holofoil insert cards for $5. The set contains ten cards and were inserted into packs at a very reasonable rate of one per three hobby packs. So, if you purchased a hobby box with perfect collation you should be able to pull a full set of these, plus have a couple for trade bait.

Set: 10 cards

1. Captain America
    2. Carnage
    3. Daredevil
    4. Hulk
    5. Iron Man
    6. Punisher
    7. Scarlet Witch
    8. Spider-Man
    9. Venom
    10. War Machine

This set is loaded with big names: Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, and of course Spider-Man.

But ultimately, I purchased this set for two reasons: Venom & Carnage. I'm a huge fan of these two villans. It's a shame that Marvel didn't do a better job portraying these two in Spider-Man 3.

Beckett Value: $20

Beckett currently lists the complete set at $20, while each of the ten singles are valued at $2.50 a piece.

eBay Value: $5 to $15

Recently completed sales have shown these sets closing anywhere between $2.95 (+ $2.50 shipping) to $15 (+ $3.26 shipping). If you're interested in picking a set up, there's one on there right now for $0.99 + $3.63 shipping or you can Buy It Now for $10 (or best offer) with free shipping.

Wednesday night's question of the evening...

What's your favorite movie based on a comic book series?

I don't get to the theaters very often, so I haven't seen any of the newer Marvel movies. I really enjoyed the X-Men trilogy. It's hard not to like Professor Xavier and his team of super heroes. However, the movie I'm most excited to see is the one featuring Deadpool... which I heard is currently in the works. That guy has everything... a cool costume and fights with two samurai swords. He sort of reminds me of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow from G.I. Joe.

Well... happy hump day everyone. Only two more days until the weekend. Stay safe. Sayonara!

More...
Working...
X