Flea Market Finds #19: Sets, Bum Fights DVD, & a Bobblehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea Market Finds #19: Sets, Bum Fights DVD, & a Bobblehead

I'm starting to rethink my life as a flea market vendor. The past three times I've gone out, I've made just over $100... and increased my odds of having skin cancer by 500%. I'm just not sure it's the life for me. But there are some advantages:

A.I get to hang out with another human being who finds pieces of cardboard with photos of athletes interesting too.

B.I get to walk around and shop.

On Sunday, I took advantage of both.

I even made a trade with my buddy that landed me this box full of cards that included stars, rookies, inserts, and even a few vintage cards. It'll be a fun side project to go through this and pull cards for my vintage and 90's insert binders. The rest I'll add to my flea market boxes, give to my summer school students, or maybe even create a prize package for my contest.

Now onto my purchases. I ended up making only $10.50 from my sales, but that didn't stop me from spending $37 on stuff for me. Here's a breakdown of my purchases:

Purchase #1:X-Files Trading Card Collection $30

Here's an example of a guy purchasing something he doesn't need... and personally doesn't even want. However, it seemed like it was too good of a deal to pass up. The collection includes the following:

1995 Topps X-Files Season One Set (72 cards)
    1995 Topps X-Files S1 Etched Foil Insert Set (6 cards)
    1995 Topps X-Files S1 Finest Chromium Insert Set (4 cards)
    1995 Topps X-Files S1 Promo Cards #0, P2, & P6
    1996 Topps X-Files Season Two Set (72 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files S2 Etched Foil Insert Set (6 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files S2 3-D Hologram Insert Set (4 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files Season Three Set (72 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files S3 Etched Foil Insert Set (6 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files S3 Finest Chromium Insert Set (2 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files S3 Hologram Insert Set (2 cards)
    1996 Topps X-Files S3 Promo #P1
    1997 Intrepid X-Files Contact Set (90 cards)
    1997 Intrepid X-Files Contact Alien Visitations Foil Insert Set (9 cards)
    1997 Intrepid X-Files Contact Colony Acetate Insert Set (3 cards)
    1997 Topps X-Files Showcase Set (72 cards)
    1997 Topps X-Files Showcase X-Effect Insert Set (6 cards)
    1997 Topps X-Files Showcase Laser Insert Set (6 cards)
    1997 Topps X-Files Showcase Promo #P1
    1998 Topps X-Files Movie Set (72 cards)
    1998 Topps X-Files Movie Mystery Insert Set (6 cards)
    1998 Topps X-Files Movie Autographs (4 cards)
    1998 Topps X-Files Movie Promo #P1
    2001 Inkworks X-Files S4/S5 I Want to Believe Insert Set (3 cards)
    2001 Inkworks X-Files Season 6 & 7 Set (90 cards)
    2001 Inkworks X-Files S6/S7 The Truth Revealed Insert Set (3 cards)
    2001 Inkworks X-Files S6/S7 Promos #P1 & P2

2002 Inkworks X-Files Season 8 Set (90 cards)
    2001 Inkworks X-Files S8 Believe to Under Insert Set (3 cards)

A quick look on eBay shows that I should be able to get my money just from the binders alone.

If not, most of the sets and inserts sell for $5 to $10 a piece, which will help cover the four autographs I'm keeping for myself.

Purchase #2: Dick Williams Bobblehead $5

Dick Williams managed both of my favorite teams: the Oakland A's & the San Diego Padres. And he managed to lead both clubs to the World Series. So for $5, I figured this bobblehead was too good of a deal to pass up.

Purchase #3: Bumfights #3 DVD $1

I originally picked up this DVD, because it's unique and I had never seen it before. And after reading about the history behind it, I now know why. According to Wikipedia, this video (along with the other Bumfights videos) has been banned in several countries and on eBay due to its content. Not exactly sure what I'll do with it, but it'll probably end up next to my Faces of Death VHS tape. In other words, inside of a box buried in my garage, so my nieces and nephews can never find it.

Purchase #4: 1980 Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Playing Cards $1

I hate the Dallas Cowboys... but c'mon, who doesn't love cheerleaders?

Okay, now that my contest has officially started. Click here if you need to review the details. Let's start earning some points.

Do you ever go to flea markets in search of collectibles? If so, what are some of your favorite flea market purchases?

1 point - Leave your response below.
    3 points - Post your response on your blog and leave a link below, so others can enjoy what you wrote.

Extra Points - I'm a teacher, so don't be surprised if I give extra credit points to people who put extra effort into their posts.

Deadline - Responses for contest points on this post will be accepted until I publish my next blog post (which will probably be Saturday morning).

Best of luck and I look forward to reading your responses.

In the meantime... here are three of my favorite flea market finds:

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Sweet pick ups
    I get to hang out with another human being who finds pieces of cardboard with photos of athletes interesting too.
    so funny
    I have never tried to sell any cards at the flea market may have to try it.Not sure if the market for cards is in my town.
    http://photobucket.com/trades_bucket
    Collecting Panthers and Lots more

Comment

There's not much of a market in my area either. But every now and then, you find a guy who will drop some money at your table. It's really just a chance to hang out with my buddy and make a few extra dollars for COMC or eBay.

Originally posted by bobjah View Post
      Sweet pick ups so funny
      I have never tried to sell any cards at the flea market may have to try it.Not sure if the market for cards is in my town.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X