Chronicles of Cardfoolery #4: The Rip Master & His Harem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicles of Cardfoolery #4: The Rip Master & His Harem

Tap... tap... tap. May I have your attention please. I'm in need of a little clarification.
    Why the heck would the people at Topps think collectors would want an autograph of this guy?

Maybe it's because there are collectors like myself who have nothing better to do, than to build this ridiculous set consisting of Alan and his female companions.

If you're not familiar with the guy, he's the annoying host of Topps TV's The Rip Party. I'll admit, there was a time when I actually would sit down and watch the videos... but it wasn't to see him, I assure you.

But before I get to the eye candy, let's get The Rip Master out of the way, since he was the first card I acquired in the set:

I picked this card up back in July of 2010... off of COMC for $1.85. Later that evening, I purchased Hollie for $2.00:

A few months passed, but eventually I pulled off a trade with SpastikMooss (author of The Great Sports Name HOF) and acquired Felicia and The Twins:

But then I hit a wall... and the 2008 Finest "Topps TV Autograph" set project went into hibernation. I attempted to purchase Rachael's autograph a few times, but wasn't willing to spend the kind of money people were asking.

Fast forward to last week... almost two years later... and I finally gave in and picked up the final card I needed off of eBay for $3.25 (+ $2.75 shipping):

So there you have it... in all of its glory: the complete five card autograph set of some hot chicks who dig cardboard and their nerdy leader. What do you think...

Is this the most ridiculous set ever produced? If not... what set is?

Happy Thursday everyone... and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

I remember watching those videos regularly. I am surprised that those do not litter $1.00-$2.00 boxes at card shows. I might have to watch some episodes now to get a couple laughs in.

Comment

LOL... yeah, good, cheap entertainment.

Originally posted by YankeeCollector View Post
      I remember watching those videos regularly. I am surprised that those do not litter $1.00-$2.00 boxes at card shows. I might have to watch some episodes now to get a couple laughs in.
      Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Wow. Never heard of Topps TV or these cards. I just saw Garbage Pail Kids Chrome and was thinking to myself how stupid can Topps get... when they start sticking crap like this in Museum Collection that'll be my cue to walk away from the hobby.

Comment

If you're bored... you should watch a couple of The Rip Master's YouTube videos. I can only imagine the community's outcry if you pulled this guy's autograph out of a high end product like Museum Collection. I'm sure most collectors would be right there with you.

Originally posted by ctau00 View Post
          Wow. Never heard of Topps TV or these cards. I just saw Garbage Pail Kids Chrome and was thinking to myself how stupid can Topps get... when they start sticking crap like this in Museum Collection that'll be my cue to walk away from the hobby.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X