Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Spotlight #22: Topps Magazine Collection

Issue #1

Did you collect baseball cards in the early 90's? Do you enjoy reading articles relating to baseball cards? Are you a fan of oddball cards, like the ones you find in magazines?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you might want to track down a few issues of Topps Magazine. Each magazine contained articles on sports and trading cards, interviews, product reviews, and much, much more. As a bonus, each issue had free trading cards and posters.

The magazine was published four times a year for four years straight (1990 to 1993). Jose Canseco was featured on the inaugural issue back in the Winter of 1990.

Issues #2, #3, and #4

I remember owning a few of the issues back in the 90's, but over the years they were recycled. Fast forward to a few years ago... and I started seeing these pop up here and there at the flea market.

That's when I decided to go out and track down all sixteen issues.

Issues #5, #6, and #7

I was able to pick up most of the early issues without any problem... especially issue #6 with Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla. It seems like every other week, I'll come across that particular issue at the flea market.

Issues #8 and #9

Issue #10 AL and NL Covers

While putting the collection together, I also discovered that Topps released two covers for their 10th issue. I found the Frank Thomas cover first, but the HoJo cover eluded me for almost a year.

Issues #11, #12, and #13

Issues #14, #15, and #16

In 1993, Topps decided to include oversized rookie cards of Dennis Eckersley, Dave Winfield, George Brett, and Nolan Ryan. These are some of the coolest oversized, oddball issues around. I'm actually trying to track down extra copies of these issues, so I can rip them out and display them.

Sadly that year also marked the end of Topps Magazine. It's crazy to think that these magazines are already twenty years old. Like most of the cards produced during that era... Topps Magazine will never pay for anyone's college tuition.

But if you're looking for some cheap, cool cards and excellent bathroom literature, than I highly suggest you grab yourself an issue or two.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X