The Doctor Has Arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doctor Has Arrived!

A few years ago, I stopped paying for cable television and switched over to a much more affordable option... Netflix.

Believe it or not, it's opened my eyes to a whole new world of television. Without Netflix, I wouldn't have had access to Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Sherlock, The Walking Dead, Jericho, and of course... Doctor Who.

I remember flipping channels as a kid and catching glimpses of The Doctor on PBS. But I never took the time to watch it. Then one day, I overheard students talking about it in class. This eventually led to a huge discussion about how I was missing out on the greatest show on television. My students informed me that it was on Netflix and that I should try it out.

I did... and I'm hooked. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the greatest show on television, but I'm looking forward to watching the latest season when it comes out.

In the meantime, I have these Doctor Who Topps Attax cards to keep me entertained...

John over at The Pursuit of 80's(ness) blogged about these cards back in April. I left a comment and he responded with a trade offer. He sent me a Doctor Whostarter pack, which contained a card album, a checklist (actually a poster), a game mat, a special lenticular card, and a pack of trading cards.

In addition to that, he threw in five extra packs.

There are 240 cards in the 2012 Topps Attax Doctor Who set. Here's a quick breakdown of the checklist:

Rainbow Foil Cards(1:5 packs):#1 to #16
    Mirror Foil Cards(1:2 packs): #17 to #48
    Aliens: #49 to #119
    Humans: #120 to #178
    Humanoids: #179 to #183
    Companions: #184 to #202
    Time Lords: #203 to #221
    Robots: #222 to #229
    Cyborgs: #230 to #235
    Humanoid Cats: #236 to #238
    Demon: #239
    Vehicle: #240

Out of the six packs, I pulled one of the rainbow foil cards...

Out of the threeDoctors I'm familiar with, I'd have to say David Tennant is my favorite. It's hard to tell from this scan, but the card has a "refractor" touch to it.

I also pulled the regular version of the 10th Doctor. He was the only Time Lord I got. In fact, most of the cards were aliens and humans, with a few humanoids, companions, and cyborgs mixed in.

The card I wanted the most was a Rose Tyler from the companion subset... but the Martha Jones is a nice back up. I was also pretty excited to see Vincent Van Gogh included in the set. Vincent and the Doctor is one of my favorite episodes.

I also pulled a pair of mirror foil cards, which are your typical foil bordered cards. And finally, there's the special lenticular card that came out of the starter pack...

When you move the card back and forth you see the 10th and 11thDoctors. It's definitely the coolest card in the bunch.

So... what do you think? Anyone else a fan of the show?

John... thanks for the trade. Your Red Sox cards were packaged and shipped last Tuesday. I hope they're able to fit into your PC.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

More...
    Collecting autographs, game-used cards, & certain inserts/parallels of the following players/teams: Tony Gwynn/Padres, Kurt Suzuki/A's, Greg Maddux, Brett Favre/Packers, Steve Largent/Seahawks, Kobe Bryant/Lakers, & Devin Setoguchi/Sharks.

My Website

My Blog

My Bucket

sigpic
Working...
X